The night of the club pops up in her mind. "You made it..."

"I killed people with my bare hands, babygirl! Even innocent people. Nothing about what I did to get to where I am now is cool, or sexy, or forgivable! Not that I can feel the truth of that, but the memories of the common sense I learned as a human tell me. But, yeah, I worked hard for my reputation. So hard that the king of hell himself reached out to me..."

Anya's jaw drops. "Lucifer? You've met Lucifer?"

"Well," He tilts his head to either side. "Technically you can't meet him. He's not a red-skinned creature with horns and a pitchfork."

He smirks and again, she chuckles.

"But I've felt him. His presence. Almost as if his talons scraped on the edge of my mind and I felt a darkness in me that was incomparable to everything I've ever felt till then. He tried to seduce me, told me he has big plans for me. That I could rule the underworld at his side one day." He shrugs. "I told him to fuck off..."

Anya almost chokes on her drink at these words. He did not. He did not tell the king of hell to fuck off!

Kyun seems pretty proud about that part, the smirk decorating his face gives him away.

"I had no intention of being the devil's whore, no matter what he had to offer. The only thing I wanted was revenge. Lucifer tried to force me a couple of times but I was too strong to be caged. So he let me go, do my own thing."

Anya stares at him, unable to grasp how powerful that demon sitting right here by her side is. "Are you telling me that Lucifer himself could not defeat you?"

"He could!" Kyun laughs. "Of course, he could. But he'd never kill someone as strong as I am, I could still be useful to him someday. But it would take a lot of his powers to keep me caged. And Hell knows he has better things to do than that!"

Still so beaten by all the information she just got, she needs a moment to sort her mind. "So you chose to become a crossroad demon?"

Kyun nods. "Usually you get chosen for jobs according to your power and relevance in hell. The more powerful you are, the more likely that you'll get a nicer job. And as a demon as powerful as I am, I got the chance to choose freely. Being a crossroad demon is the only job that allows me to walk on earth without having Lucifer tracking my every move. I could live a life as a shapeshifter, go into politics like so many others, but then I'd always have Lucifer coming for my ass to get information. As long as I bring enough souls down there, he leaves me in peace! I want as small of a connection to him as possible!"

For a long moment, she looks into his crimson eyes. Then she lays her head on the back of the sofa.

"I don't quite get it." She sighs. "I thought hell was constant torture? You make it seem like you only have to make it through the transition and the rest is... easy-going..."

Kyun cringes. "I was afraid you'd say that. My lifestyle is probably the reason you don't take it seriously when I talk about hell! I was lucky, babygirl. I was strong and got a job that allows me to walk on earth whenever I want. But not everyone gets this privilege! The weak creatures, the ones who aren't worthy, spend a miserable eternity of torture over and over again. You must know the longer you are in hell, the worse it gets. I still can feel it even though I'm seldom down there for longer than a few minutes when I deliver the souls. I feel that my soul belongs down there! I feel the pain, the darkness, the sorrow! And when even I can feel it then you can imagine what this does to weaker demons and especially the ones who live down there and are rarely or never able to come to earth. A constant, massive pain you have to overcome to keep up your life—or what we consider living down there. This is a feeling you don't wanna have! I'm lucky to be so strong, so I can at least have a little fun in between. You, babygirl, wouldn't make it far down there. That's why I need you to fight!" He leans closer and grabs her chin. "I need you to pull through, do you understand?" His voice sounds so desperate again. "I can guarantee you, the moment you enter hell, you'll never get out of there! Ever!"