Chapter 11

Abby continued working hard in her physio and occupational therapies. After a month in the hospital in LA, she was discharged home with a wheelchair that she was now able to manoeuvre herself. She'd regained feeling and movement in her arms and hands and while her fine motor skills still required some intensive work, she could hold a fork or spoon, do up zippers (though buttons were still a challenge) and hold a pen, although her grip was toddler-like. But she could write.

Brendon had determined she would work from home for now with a tutor. She still had intensive physiotherapy sessions coupled with her occupational therapist coming three times a week. Going to school online would at least give her time to get work done between therapies. Her friends came and visited often, having worried when they heard about the accident and Abby wasn't responding. She could text again though she was still a little clumsy.

"Home sweet home, Abs," Brendon smiled as he wheeled his daughter through their front door. The house was quiet. Except for Penny and Bogart meeting them at the door barking.

"Hi puppies!" Abby exclaimed, holding her arms out, hoping they'd jump up on her lap. Both dogs sniffed around Abby's wheelchair and cocked their heads as if to say "what is this and why is it here and what do we do with it?"

"Welcome home, Abby!" Kala smiled, coming in from the living room where she and Zack had been waiting for Brendon and Abby to come home. They'd been taking care of the dogs since they'd come back from Chicago.

Kala gave Abby a hug and Zack lifted her out of her chair and hugged her tight.

"So glad to have you home, kiddo," he said and planted a big kiss on her cheek. She smiled at her honorary uncle.

"Thanks, Uncle Zack," Abby said. He carried her into the house and set her on the couch.

"I thought we'd have people over tomorrow to welcome you home," Brendon said, bringing her chair into the living room.

"Okay," Abby said.

"Where's my granddaughter?!" Abby heard the booming voice of her PopPop from the backyard. Abby looked at Brendon who shrugged and helped Abby into her chair. She wheeled herself outside through the curtained back door. And like the time she'd come home from the assault at school, the backyard was filled with hers and her dad's friends. And her Granny and PopPop. 

PopPop lifted Abby out of her chair like Zack had and hugged her tight. He then carried her over to a lounge chair and sat down with her in his lap.

"How are you feeling, my darling?" PopPop asked.

"I'm okay, PopPop," Abby smiled. "I'm better."

Friends and honorary uncles and aunts kept coming up to Abby and telling her how happy they were she was back home, how good she looked and catching her up on things.

All in all, Abby had a good homecoming and it wasn't until much later that she started to tire and doze off. Brendon carried his sleeping daughter upstairs to bed and tucked her in. He'd check on her throughout, he knew. And he'd gotten a baby monitor so Abby could call for him if she needed help in the night.  He had also hired a nurse to help Abby during the night with turns and toileting, since she was still in a diaper due to the lack of bowel and bladder control attributed to her spinal injury. 

Once Abby was settled in bed and the nurse had checked in, Brendon returned to his guests in the backyard.

"She looks good," his mom said to him.

"She does. She's doing so much better. The last set of scans were really encouraging and she's feeling more confident and comfortable."

"I'm so happy to hear that," Grace said. Her son looked tired. He'd been so devoted to Abby and even more so since the accident. Having both of them home was special. Grace knew Abby would heal faster surrounded by her things and her friends and family.

People started trickling out and by midnight Brendon was checking on Abby, who was fast asleep and looking comfortable. The nurse said she'd already turned her twice. Abby needed to be turned to prevent bedsores from forming due to pressure on one spot all night. And because she couldn't move her legs, Brendon or the nurse had to help turn her.

Brendon said good night to his parents after kissing his daughter goodnight (which she did not feel because she was so deeply asleep) and went to his room where he fell into his own bed for the first time in over a month.

In the morning. He woke up, and realized how late it was. It was ten am and he needed to get Abby up! Her physiotherapist was supposed to be here! How had he slept so long?

He dressed quickly and brushed his teeth before running out of his room to wake Abby.

Her bed was made and empty. How?

He heard voices downstairs and went to investigate.

"Hi Dad!" Abby said cheerfully as Brendon came into the kitchen. "Granny and I made breakfast!"

Just then the doorbell rang. Brendon went to answer it and was greeted by Abby's physiotherapist.

"Good morning, Brendon. How's Abby?  She ready?"

"Uh, yeah. She's just in the kitchen," he said. He was still bewildered as to how Abby had gotten up and downstairs.

Brendon followed the therapist into the house and Abby rolled out into the hallway.

"Hey, Eric!" She greeted her therapist.

"What's cookin', good lookin'?" Eric countered. Abby laughed. Brendon was still feeling sort of out of sorts. He supposed his parents might have gotten Abby up and ready.

Abby and Eric went out into the back yard where Eric had had some equipment delivered.

"Mom?" Brendon asked, taking a serving of pancakes that Abby and his mother had allegedly made. "Did you and Dad get Abby up this morning?"

"We did. You've been doing so much. You needed the sleep. And I can tell just how much you did. You look much more well rested today."

"Thanks, Mom," Brendon hugged his mother. Having them here to help take care of Abby would do both of them wonders.