Chapter 10

The soft platter of rain hit my head and the slow drizzle of water trickled down my spine. I could feel an aching sensation in my heart, and it was jairring.

I frowned.

"I can see the red string, shinazugawa, I can see who you're connected to" he whispered.

This can't be true.

"No, no you can't. You must be delusional" I yelled, panic rising in my stomach as I watched tomioka's icy facade crumbling into fragments. Tears were streaming down this face and they mixed with the water that rained down from the sky. 

"I can" he croaked out.

No, please tell me this is a joke"

"You can't be dying so soon!"

"I am"

Fuck fuck fuck

"You can't possibly see the red string" I pleaded.

Tomioka shook his head and wiped the tears off his face, looking up at me with a soft smile which implied that whatever he was saying was the fucking truth.

"I'm leaving soon" he whispered.

"You can't be"

"Good news is, you have a soulmate" he chuckled, forcing a grin as he clapped his hands to celebrate, "your soulmate is kanae and she's still alive. She's in the north somewhere but she's in another country. I managed to contact her younger sister who is in a different school and she gave me the location on where to find her"

Tomioka walked towards me and held up a piece of paper in his hands, thrusting his hand forward to prompt me to take it.

"Fuck that" I grunted, slapping the paper away and holding onto his hands, "you can't be dying so early"

"I have to"

"But I can still love you!"

"It's not the hanahaki disease, shinazugawa" he joked.

"Tomioka"

"I'm a lost cause, there's no point in liking me since all you will be getting is nothing but a lump of burdens"

"You aren't a burden, tomioka"

"That's what they all say" he chuckled, pulling his hand away, "but that's not the main point. I'm leaving soon, so it's best if you forget me" he sighed, taking a deep breath as he adjusted his shirt.

I took a step forward and he took a step back, holding up his hands once more to set a distance between us. I could see the tears building up in his eyes yet again and the slight tremble in his body was prominent.

"T-tomioka-"

"You should forget me, shinazugawa"

"I can't-"

"You can, I know you can" he smiled.

"I can't forget you!"

"I know you will in a few weeks"

"I don't want you to die, tomioka. I can't forget you!" I shouted.

"You need to!"

"I can't!"

"You have to!"

"Tomioka-"

"Please!" He yelled, "please, please just forget me" he whispered, whimpering as a new onslaught of tears streamed down his face. The pale lips of his were beaten into a bloody mess due to all the nibbling and biting and the shine in his eyes was getting duller.

"Don't remember me, please" he begged.

I've never seen tomioka so vulnerable before. I've never seen him so emotional, so tearful and so pained that all he could do was cry.

"I will die, shinazugawa, and it's best for you to forget me"

"I can't just forget you!"

"No, because you need to"

I tried to take a step closer towards him, but he shook his head, holding up his fingers and snapping them - thus creating a sound which reverberated in my ear drums. I felt a sudden sense of dizziness washing over me and I stumbled, blinking my eyes aggressively as I tried to fight the drowsiness.

"I'm really sorry, sanemi. But I have no choice. You were a really good friend towards me, nemi, and I loved you. Thank you so much for being beside me, and I wish you happiness with the one you love" he smiled sadly.

I sank to my knees as I watched Tomioka getting further away from me, groaning In agony as I saw him inch closer to the edge. I shouted his name but he ignored it and my voice was becoming hoarse. My vision was darkening and I could barely make out tomioka's silhouette.

I didn't want to let him go, I didn't want to not see him, I didn't want to let him die.

I didn't want to.
But he needed to.

I saw the last outline of his figure - a tall and slender man with long, jet-black hair.

I called out his name once more but I heard nothing and soon, I saw nothing.