Chapter 10: Finding the Village and Casting Repairo

Eleazar arrives at the nearest train station to the location he was seeking out. The station was still miles away from the destination marked on Miriam's map. He wasn't too familiar with cabs since they just recently started getting more popular, but he hailed one.

"Can you take me to the village here?" Eleazar then points at the place on the map. The cab driver looks puzzled for a moment, and then puffed on a cigar.

"There isn't any place located there. It's an abandoned area. I can't take you there, but I can take you to the village located nearby." Eleazar then thought for a moment.

"If the muggles don't know of this village, how did it survive for so long? Miriam had visited it briefly, so it most definitely exists." He thought.

"Yes, take me to the village closest to what's marked on the map." Eleazar says. He then slides opens his bag and quickly, but silently, transfigures a galleon into around 4 pounds without the cab driver noticing.

"It is eightpence per mile, and fourpence every half-mile after the first." The cab driver states, but to his surprise, Eleazar just gives him the entire four pounds.

"Here, for the trouble." Eleazar had studied muggle-studies, but he was still horrible at his conversion of money. He knew how much usually cost in the wizarding world, but had no idea the value of goods/services in the muggle world.

The cab driver widens his eyes, as he realizes how much he had given him.

"Are you sure sir? This is a lot of money- I'm- I'm taken aback-"

"Yes, I'm certain. Keep all of it. It should give your family a hot meal tonight for sure."

"Yes, and many more nights!! I shall never forget this. I'll drive you as close as I can to the location you wish to go!!" The cab driver's eyes sparkle and they both set off. It was night by the time he had got in the cab, and he stared out longingly at the stars.

He reminisced on how him and Miriam would go stargazing every so often. They had found some astronomy tables near hogwarts, and loved solving them and finding the hidden constellations in each one. They would read up on all the constellations they would find in a book from the library. Miriam's favorite constellation of all time was Capricornus, which represented the Greek god Pan. She was very interested in nature deities, which was another reason Eleazar thought she would've been a hufflepuff if she hadn't asked the sorting hat. Although Miriam's favorite constellation was Capricornus, Eleazar's favorite was Hercules. It was for a shallow reason, but it's only because he loved that old Greek tale.

Eventually, he had fell asleep in the cab. When he awoke, it felt like he had been asleep for ages. Light attacked his pupils as he opened his eyes, and he gently pressed his eyes when he woke. He had been leaning against the window and his neck was now stiff.

"Are we nearly there?" The cab driver adjusts his mirror to face Eleazar.

"Yes, we are nearly there. You were out for the whole ride." He then comes to a halt, seemingly in a bare field with a few wheel tracks, in front of a path leading into an empty field and then forest.

"It's interesting, because everyone I've ever driven with that mentioned this area have always said there wasn't anything out here. You learn something new as time passes." He had driven Eleazar passed the neighboring village, and just a mere three miles were left in his journey.

"Thank you kind sir, I shall be on my way."

"I hope you find whatever you are looking for." Eleazar gets out of the cab with his case in hand, and the cab driver drives off in the direction that he had came from.

Eleazar starts down the path as the sun glared down on him, making him start to sweat in beads.

The path leads him into a forest, and through the forest he notices something rather peculiar. His eyes focus on a darting object high in the treetops. He had known a colony of fairies had taken up residence near Hogwarts, but he had never seen them this deep in muggle territory.

"Maybe it would be best to catch them and introduce them near hogwarts to keep them safer, but maybe it's best to do that another time." He mutters to himself silently. He continued trekking along, until the path opens into another field that leads to a gate.

Once he reached the gate, he was expecting a bustling village but was met with ruins.

"This can't be the place, Miriam said there were people here when she visited." He pushes the gate open and takes a look around. He gasps in horror when he realizes that there were bodies everywhere. He gulps and moves forward, curious but also horrified at what could have done this.

He pulls out his wand, but keeps it concealed in the instance there were any survivors.

"Repairo." He casts, and the rubble begin to repair into their original shape. He continued until nearly the half of the village is repaired, and he comes to a house that wasn't entirely destroyed.

"Godric's heart, what happened here." He states once more, flabbergasted at the sheer destruction. Half of this house was gone, and it was as if a strong force wrecked its way through the entire town.

"Repairo." He casts once more, and the last house begins to repair itself. He hadn't noticed the girl at first, but once the house had completed repairing, she tried to flee without him noticing.

"Who are you? Are you a survivor?" He grows closer to the girl, who froze when she had heard that he had seen her. Her face grows pale.

"It's complicated-" she starts, and then she realizes what he had done to the house.

"I should be asking you who you are? How did you do that?" She questions, and it was his turn to be taken aback. She must've been a muggle, and he had just cast magic in front of her. He then thought that the ministry would surely get word somehow of this.

"My name is Eleazar Fig, and my wife Miriam was researching this village. I've just come to see if her leads were true." She squints her eyes and looks down in thought.

"Can you teach me how you just repaired this house? I know you are a wizard." He decides that it's too late to hide that he had cast magic. He'd have to obliviate her after this conversation.

"I can't teach a muggle-"

"A muggle?"

"Someone without magic-"

"Oh, I do have magic." He then looks at her, and looks out at the destruction again. Could this girl have done all of this? She's the only survivor so it was only natural that Eleazar suspect that somehow she was responsible, since she revealed that she had magic as well.

"I'll teach you how to repair these houses, if you reveal to me how your village got destroyed."