Chapter 7: The best man is a woman.

Start from the beginning

"Oh yeah, Nick will do that to you" he laughed. "So, how are you liking it over here?"

"Besides Nick, I love it! You guys are pretty cool. I mean, Miles gets on Nick as much as I do, and Zack is so nice."

"Yeah, Zack's pretty nice" Bill chuckled. He had an interesting look on his face. Almost as if he would side with Nick if he knew what was going on.

"Well, I'm gonna go get ready to pull pots. Want me to round the guys up?"

"Yeah, we have about 3 miles until we hit the first pot. Thanks, Bailey."

"No problem" I smiled, running down the stairs.

I walked into the kitchen and found the guys talking about something, but they stopped as soon as I walked into the room.

"Hey Bailey" Nick said, giving me half an "I told you so" look.

"Hi, uhm, Bill said we need to get our gear on. We have less than 3 miles until we hit the first pot." I said, giving him a look that said "what the hell?"

"Okay, then, let's get ready" Zack said.

Zack and Miles left to go get their gear on while Nick and I hung back.

"What were you talking about?" I asked.

"Do you really wanna know?" Nicked asked back.

"Uhm, yes I would."

"We were talking about you. I asked Zack what he thought about you and he pretty much spilled the beans. He likes you, Bailey Hillstrand."

"What, are you serious?" I asked him, half mad, half excited.

"I told you" he teased as we walked to get our gear on. "I was right, and you were wrong. You're not used to that are you?"

"Nick, shut up" I said, putting my boots on.

We all took our spots and pulled the first pot up.

"107" Zack relayed to Bill.

"That's a good number. We'll probably reset these." He said over the intercom.

We spent the next three hours pulling pots and listening to Nick yell at Miles for being too slow.

"Okay, we're halfway done." Bill said.

"Miles, you're gonna have to speed it up!" Nick yelled.

"Nick, why don't you just get off my back for once?"

Before we knew it, Nick and Miles were in a full on fight. While this was going on, Zack and I made a silent pact to keep going while they were arguing. He had to stay on the crane and the hook, but he helped with sorting when he could. I did everything else. Bait, sorting, setting the pots, pulling the pots. This went on for the next 2 hours, running nonstop. And yes, they fought that entire time and were little help even when they tried.

We were finally done, all of the pots pulled and reset. Nick and Miles fought their way into the wheelhouse and Zack and I trudged in after them.

It wasn't long after that, Wild Bill came down and he looked madder than I'd ever seen him.

"What the hell was that?" He asked, looking directly at Nick and Miles.

We knew they were going to get it so Zack and I left into our bunk so that we were out of the line of fire. We sat on the bottom bunk - Zack's bed - and listened.

"You guys literally did nothing to help for the last half of the string! I don't even know what to say to you."

They argued back and forth until Bill had finally had enough.

"You two need to grow the hell up! If this happens one more time before we go to offload, you're both gone! Bailey and Zack did your entire job for you! Bailey technically did the job of 3 Goddamn people. The best man on deck is a woman." He said and we heard him leave.

"Yes she is" Zack said.

Then he kissed me.

Hey guys!

This is a longer update than usual. Hope you liked it! I know they're moving fast, but I have a plot I want to get to that I think you'll like. ;)

Thank you for being so supportive! I say this almost every chapter, but you guys are so sweet and it means the world to me! I love you all so much!

~Dev, DeadliestSeahawk13