chapter eleven - chris pov

"you need to tell him," nick says to me.

i can't even be mad at him, cause he's right. i overreacted and assumed that matt made a move on her, so i blew up on him. there's no coming back from that. i almost punched him. and i feel so fucking stupid cause i know matt would never do something like that.

i nod at nick, and finally look over at matt. he turns to me, and the confusion is written all over his face. he has no idea why i reacted the way i did. honestly, neither do i.

"matt i'm just gonna be straight up with you cause there's no other way to say this," i start. "i thought i would be fine because of how long ago it was, but when i saw you with her last night it just pissed me off."

he sits down on the couch, but doesn't break eye contact with me. he looks like he knows what i'm about to say, but he still sits there and listens.

"i liked kenna in high school. like a lot. and i never said anything about it cause you had already dated her and everything. i thought i was over it cause we hadn't seen her in so long, but seeing her again last night just brought back all of those feelings, i guess. i don't know," i sigh.

his face is expressionless. he doesn't look like he has anything to say, so i just keep going.

"i could just see how much you liked her and it made me mad. and then seeing her clothes in the bathroom and realizing she slept in your room just made it so much worse. so i guess i convinced myself that you made her stay cause i needed something to be mad at. i know she wouldn't have stayed unless she wanted to," i say.

"are you in love with her?" he asks. it catches me off guard.

"no," i say quickly. "i never was, i just really liked her. and then seeing her again just reminded me of how much i liked her. but i'm not gonna do anything about it, matt. i swear to god."

"you should've just told me," he says.

"i know. i should've told you the second you told us you ran into her, i just didn't think about it cause i really thought i was over it," i say.

"but you're obviously not over it. you almost fucking punched me."

"i'm sorry, i don't know why i got so mad or why i was so convinced you made her do something she didn't wanna do."

"it's fine," he says. he stands up and walks to his room while we just watch.

"matt, wait," nick says, trying to get him to keep talking about it. matt ignores him.

"i'm gonna give him a minute," i say to nick. "but i need to make sure he's okay."

"you really blew up on him," nick says.

"i know. i don't know why i got so mad."

"cause you still like her, idiot."

i shake my head at him. "but i can't."

all i know is i need to talk to matt, but i need to let him process what i just told him. i'm not gonna let a girl get in between my relationship with my brother, and he needs to know that.