! ix. cold night's rain

Start from the beginning

   they arrived at the park, it was a huge lake with a wooden bridge and cherry blossom trees, the traditional tree in inazuma. there was a swing with an arch over it that was sitting on the grass. it was around 5 pm, but the sky was already a light orange and red.

"it's so pretty here," [name] spoke at last, grinning at the sight. "hey, let's take a photo!"

   relieved at the fact that she was finally speaking, scaramouche just agreed. [name] saved it to an album labeled 'memories with scara<3' and smiled to herself. "by the way, there's a beach nearby. it's getting a bit dark, so I thought we could visit it before we go home," said scaramouche. [name] excitedly jumped up and followed her friend to the car as they drove to the beach that he was talking about.

   the sun was setting, and the scene was ethereal. the oranges, reds, and yellows mixed in. it was very pretty there, and they went to the end of the boardwalk, where there was a fence with a view that was amazing. [name] took a photo of her and scaramouche, but it only showed two shadowed figures. eh, it's better than nothing. she saved it to the album and planned to post it on Instagram later.

"we should be heading home now," said [name], snapping out of her trance at last.

   "yea, it's getting pretty late. see? the sun's almost set," scaramouche pointed out; so they went back to the car as they sped off into the night, heading for their neighborhood.

"my parents might be wondering where I'm at," [name] said worriedly.

"don't worry, try not to think about it," he told her when they pulled into her driveway.

"scara, wanna stay for a bit?"

"sure."

   [name] unlocked the door with the house key and looked around only to see the lights turned off. "oh, thank goodness, I'm glad that they go to sleep early now." she switched on the LED lights in the living room that she had bought a few years ago and pressed the remote to make the lights a dark blue.

   "your house is comfortable," scaramouche said, giving her an almost unnoticeable smile. unlike the raiden household, this place was somewhere he could stay without a wave of tension hanging in the air.

"thank you," she laughed lightly, as she went into the kitchen. "I'll make us some drinks."

"oh, uh, you didn't have to," he replied awkwardly. [name] shook her head, "no, I insist!"

   "well, fine. I'll just have coffee." scaramouche looked around the house a bit more; there was a dark wooden desk with photo stands. he gasped; it was of [name] and her friends, and in one photo, it was the image of him and her washing dishes in the student council kitchens. her computer was sitting comfortably on the desk along with a few scattered notes on their school subjects; there was a pillow as well and an office chair. a notebook sat comfortably on a shelf with some novels and textbooks; a beanbag lay near the shelf. dry cecilias lay in a vase on a coffee table in the living room, along with a TV remote. the room with the desk and notes must be her study area, he thought. for some reason, he felt like this place was home to him.

   a black fluffy cat with indigo eyes hopped onto his lap as scaramouche sat down on the sofa. "hey there," he said in an unusually soft voice. the cat meowed as it fell asleep, tail curling around itself as [name] came back with a cup of coffee.

"are you sure that you want coffee? you won't be able to sleep," she said. "oh! kuni, are you bothering scaramouche, you silly goose."

"she's not bothering me," scaramouche chuckled. "and I'm fine, I'm immune to coffee."