Chapter 7: Street Fighting

Nick's POV

I dropped off June and headed to a bar called, Bewitched Sips. I walked in and Toni, the bartender greeted me. "Hey man, how have you been?" I smiled and sat down on the bench in front of him. Toni's someone I've known since I was a kid. He's been here since my Dad fought and has been a family friend of ours for some time. He's usually the eyes and ears around this place and keeps me updated on what news I've missed. "Nothing much man I hung out with a new friend of mine. Broke up with my whore of an ex and here I am what about you? Anything exciting happening?" I looked back at Toni, who was pouring a glass of scotch in a cup. He slid it to the older man wearing a salmon pink shirt sitting at the end of the table. Sorrow crossed Toni's face and he looked both ways before he leaned in closer to me to speak quietly. "Ah didn't you hear? George got caught by the police two nights ago and is getting questioned. They're trying to get him to speak of where the fightings are happening. It's getting worse son, the police are stopping at nothing to find this place. I knew something like this would eventually happen but not so soon. Harley's been freaking out and questioning almost all the fighters if the police have talked to them. His bar rules and everything else is getting more strict since the police's eyes are everywhere."

I looked away ticked off that the police were getting close to finding this place. I was so close to becoming a legendary street fighter and in days it could be taken away from me. I wonder what Harley was doing to protect this bar besides what Toni told me. If he was hiring investigators to find out what the police knew. Whatever was happening I just hoped the Harley knew what he was doing.

"Hey Toni do you know who I will be fighting tonight?"

"You'll be fighting The Grinder and here's some info you could use against him, he has a shoulder injury he's never really recovered from. If you punch his left shoulder it'll immobilize him for a minute and you can take the opportunity to take him down." I smiled and clasped my hand on Toni's shoulder. "Thanks man." Toni nodded and walked around the bar. He looked both ways and gave a small gesture to follow him. I followed him when he opened the hidden door behind him for me. I was about to leave until Toni said something that stopped me. "Hey, good luck out there." I gave him a sincere nod and walked inside, Toni silently closing the small door behind me.

I was instantly greeted with fans screaming and cheering as I walked past the fight that was on right now. Luckily Harley made the walls soundproof so none of the screaming was heard down here. I made my way to the the dressing room and pushed it open. The room was mature, covered in old advertising posters of the fighters before me. I went to the sink and splashed cold water on my face. I quickly wrapped my hands in white gauze tightly and took off my black leather jacket and a muscle shirt.

I threw on my gray sweatpants that hung low on my waist and stuffed my leather jacket and muscle shirt in my duffel bag. Lastly I took out my black leather boxing gloves that my dad passed down to me and kissed them both for good luck. Deciding I was ready I swung the door shut behind me leaving I attempted to go to my boss's room but there stood two of Harley's bodyguards, Carson and Byran. I seriously hate these guys, they act as if they don't know even know me, though I've been fighting here longer than they've had their jobs.

"Name?" Carson asked. I rolled my eyes. "Carson I'm not in the mood to play you and Bryan's games." Bryan held his hands up in a surrender position. "Okay chill Wonder." He said with a laugh. They stepped aside and I opened the door. There sat Harley in his chair, smoking his cigar.

Clouds of smoke dancing in the air. He was talking to a few black-bearded men sitting across from him. I leaned against the wall waiting for him to finish his conversation. His gray eyes met mine and he stood up. "Hey, Nick you ready for the fight?" The rest of the men looked up at me surprised. "He's fighting tonight?" One of the men asked. "Yeah," I said.

"I've never seen this punk fight. I'm sure he'll be knocked out the first round" the other man said and laughed. I shot him a cold look. Harley chuckled and took another puff. "Don't judge a book by its cover. Nick is good at what he does." The men scoffed crossing their arms. "We'll see about that" one of the guys muttered.

I excused myself and went to the back door, sitting on the step. I took a deep breath filling fresh air into my lungs. I felt my phone vibrate and took it out of my pocket. I saw a text message from June on my lock screen and entered my pin. I opened the app and read the message.

June: Thanks for taking me out today I had a lot of fun. The most fun I had in a long time. See you tomorrow.

I smiled at the text message and stuck my phone into my pocket. The door swung open and there stood little Harley waiting. Why do I call him little Harley? Well, the man's 5'5 and he's to my shoulders. "Are you ready to win some money?" I stood up and took off my hoodie. "Yeah, I guess." I walked in and I heard the Ring announcer yelling, trying to hype the crowd.

"Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to tonight's boxing match. In the red corner, a man that won 40 fights and lost 12 also known as the Most Wanted Teenager in America weighing 144 pounds give it up for The Player!" The crowd cheered. "Alright alright, and now in the blue corner, a man weighing 144 pounds that won 43 fights and lost 22 also known as the strongest man in Montana that has won the title for 3 years. Give it up for the Grinder!"

My eyes met the man's brown ones. He threw me a glare. I smirked and put my game face on. The referee went in the middle of the ring and as usual and gave us the rules. When that was done the referee then blew his whistle. I quickly approached him and uppercut the Grinder in the jaw. The crowd went wild and began to scream my name. Player! Player! Player!

The Grinder shook his head and ran towards me. I moved out of his way, good thing I was light on my feet. Grinder attempted to punch at my jaw but I dodged it. I threw a punch at his head and knocked him out cold. The referee slammed his fist on the ground and counted. Sweat ran down my chest as I breathed heavily. "1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10!"
The crowd screamed and the referee grabbed my hand.

He raised my hand in the air. When the crowd settled down, I got out of the ring and someone handed me a towel. I walked over to the water pitcher and grabbed a cup. I chugged it down in one gulp and threw the cup in the trash. Harley approached me grinning like a madman. "Well done son, see you next week," he said and patted my shoulder making me flinch. He looked confused from my reaction but shrugged it off.

I stepped out the back door. I noticed it was already dark outside and pulled my phone out to check the time. It read 9:00 pm. "Hey, Nick! Where do you think you're going?" I turned around and saw one of the black-bearded men that was with Harley earlier. "Man, what do you want from me?" I asked. The man chuckled and spoke, "You did well out there during the fight.

How do you feel about having a little one on one fight with me? The loser buys drinks winner for a month. What'd ya said, Nick? Are you up for it?" I smirked and held my hand out to shake on it. "You've got a deal." I took my gauze out of my bag and wrapped it around my fists again. The man cracked his knuckles and gave me a smug look. He took the first punch and hit me in the stomach.

I was taken aback but recovered quickly. "Come on Nick hit me. Hit me really hard." I punched him in the face and I saw his mouth start to bleed. He spits the remaining blood on the floor and shook his head. "Nice hit." He threw a punch at my arm and quickly blocked the hit. He then threw a punch at my head. I ducked and then hit him hard in the stomach. He coughed after I knocked the air out of his lungs, gasping and but still stood back up.

"Okay okay, I give up you win. I want to walk home alive tonight." Silence surrounded us a bit; The man let out a laugh while holding his stomach. "Man, Harley wasn't kidding when he said you could fight." I chuckled and said, "You're not so bad yourself." We shook hands and parted ways afterward. I let out a yawn then pulled my phone out of my pocket, checking the time. My phone read 10:20 pm.

I unwrapped the now partially unraveled gauze on my knuckles and wrists. Then put the remaining gauze in my bag. I zipped my bag up and pulled my hoodie over my head. I squeezed my hands to check how much pain I would have to endure tomorrow. Pain shot up through my arms and I knew I would have to deal with severe bruises tomorrow. I took out my keys out of my pocket and pressed the button to unlock my car. I heard the car unlock and started the engine. I drove off into the night, ready for the pain I'd have to feel tomorrow.

Hi, so I rewrote this chapter. If there's advice you'd like to give me I'm all ears. I'm still opened to any tips or ideas for my story. Leave all advice, tips, and ideas in comments. Thanks.