18

OCTOBER

OCTOBER

I'm panicking. Correction, Julie and I are panicking.

"Holy shit! Holy shit! You two! Oh Braden is going to kill you two," Julie says in the backseat of Jacob's truck. I was being careless back there. I should have been more careful about being seen with Jacob. Now Julie knows. Jacob as always seems as calm as a cucumber.

"Holy shit I knew we were covering your ass for a guy but fuck! Jacob Kappalac, Tor?" Julie says leaning over the center console. I glance at Jacob and he has a smile playing on his lips. Julie looks at him and clears her throat, "I mean uh no offense, Bud."

"None taken," Jacob shrugs as he turns down a random road. I told Jacob to put the pedal to the metal before Julie went and screeched to the whole apartment complex or before I could explain.

"This is why Carter didn't want to know. Wait, so does that mean that Carter knows?"

"No Carter doesn't know she has an inkling," I respond glancing at Jacob.

Julie moves away from the center console and collapses in the backseat, "How did this happen? Wow, I have so many questions. Oh my God the bagels!"

"Julie please breathe," I say, grabbing her hand.

"Looks like I'll be dying with you huh?" Julie jokes. I know she's joking but at the same time she is partially serious.

"No one is dying," Jacob comments pointedly looking at me.

"We might be okay but you? Yeah you're definitely dying," Julie comments pointing at Jacob. He glares at her through the rear view mirror.

"Stop talking about dying and where are we even going?" I ask Jacob. He glances at me as he parks his car in a vacant lot. Julie rushes to the window, her brown eyes wide.

"Oh so you've come to kill me. Well, can you give all my shit to Carter and tell my family I love them," Julie says dramatically. I roll my eyes at her dramatics.

"What is with you and death right now?" I ask her.

"It is October 1st today, I don't know it's the spooky vibes," she shrugs her shoulders. Jacob now turns around and faces her. I watch as she tenses in her seat.

"We aren't going to kill you, this is just so you can yell about this as much as you'd like and no one will hear," Jacob says calmly. Julie studies him suspiciously and tilts her chin up.

"How reassuring."

"Jules."

"Sorry."

"No it's fine I get it. The asshole brother really puts a damper on my image huh," Jacob sarcastically says to her.

"So how did this all happen? And when? Well actually I know you guys were whatever during that party when Braden freaked but shit I didn't know it was still going on," Julie says planting a hand over her forehead. "Oh my God does Lacey know! Wow Braden is going to go on a warpath."