e i g h t e e n

Haerin's POV:

It's been a few days now, and I've been going back to school again.

Another thing that I've been doing, but not been open about, is avoiding Hanni.

For some reason my mind can't seem to wrap itself around the idea that someone has strong feelings for me. It scares me.

I can tell that she noticed, because she's also stopped trying to get me out to speak to her.

Now, I sometimes have awkward encounters with her, like accidentally making eye contact and then both of us panicking.

Or walking into a room where the other is, then not being able to start a conversation and running out.

I don't want to add more to the list.

Today I'm not in school, it's the weekend, but I have a Geometry exam on Wednesday, so I lock myself in my room and sit around a bunch of textbooks for the rest of the night.

I head downstairs after an hour for a snack, Hanni and Eunchae are in the living room, so I quietly go into the kitchen.

I dig through a small cabinet for a bag of chips and then hear Hanni asking what Eunchae wants to drink, and I freeze.

I then hear her walk into the kitchen, I keep my back turned, pretending to do something.

I hear the fridge open and close then all movements stop.

I wait, and then when there is still no noise, I sigh and turn around, only to bump into her.

She's not smiling, her face is expressionless.

"Sorry." I mumble, and step to the side to walk away but she holds the sides of my arms.

I expect her to say something, anything, but she just opens her mouth and closes it again, her hands still on my shoulders.

She gives up, and very slowly lets go of my arms, dragging her hands so they stay against my skin for a little longer.

She sighs, like she's been defeated, and moves aside to let me go, I look up at her, confused yet understanding.

There is so much she wants to say, but she can't seem to let it all out, to put it in words, to say it exactly the way she's thinking.

Like a coward, I leave the kitchen, walking back upstairs and into my room, it feels like I could cry our of frustration.

- - - - -

"That was so hard." I hear the girl in front of me whisper after the teacher has gathered all the exams papers.

"Half of the questions were impossible and we didn't even go over that." her friend gossips back.

I exhale, knowing that I probably didn't do well either since I haven't been able to focus.

All I can think about is Hanni.

The way it felt to have her lips on mine, her face near mine, her her hands holding me close.

And that haunting look she gave me that night in the kitchen.

"I will have these marked and returned by this Friday, please start going over the next unit in your textbooks till then. See you tomorrow." the teacher holds the pile of papers to her chest and waits until everyone leaves.

When I'm out of the class, Hyein is there, her expression defeated.

"How was the Chem exam?" I ask her and she shushes me.

"Don't remind me." she groans.

"How bad?" I ask.

"I missed the last page because I ran out of time." she gives me a look and gives me a sympathetic smile.