53 - The Wrong Franchise

En başından başla

Neville goes pink. "Course not. They don't need it, do they? I made sure to ask the room only let's in those deserving of the place. Plus, you're here now, aren't you?"

I think of Draco and my heart squeezes. Maybe this place is what he needs - a safe haven away from the horror of Malfoy Manor.

"We haven't come back to stay," I say, rubbing my scar, trying to soothe the pain. "There's something important we need to do-"

"What is it?" Seamus asks eagerly.

"I can't tell you."

"Can you tell us anything?" Lavender Brown asks.

"It's something we've got to find, to do with Raven-" I am interrupted by the tunnel door opening behind me.

"We got your message, Neville! Hello you three, I thought you must be here!"

It is Luna and Dean. Seamus gives a great roar of delight and runs to hug his best friend.

"Hi, everyone!" Luna sings happily. "Oh, it's great to be back!"

"Luna?" I say distractedly, "what are you doing here? How did you-?"

"I sent for her," Neville says, holding up the fake Galleon. "I promised her and Ginny that if you turned up I'd let them know. We all thought that if you came back, it would mean revolution. That we were going to overthrow Snape and the Carries."

"Of course that's what it means," Luna says brightly. "Isn't it , Harri? We're going to fight them out of Hogwarts?"

"Listen," I say, with a rising sense of panic, "I'm sorry, but that's not what we came back for. There's something we've got to do, and then-"

"You're going to leave us in this mess?" Michael Corner demands.

"No!" Ron says. "What we're doing will benefit everyone in the end, it's all about trying to get rid of You-Know-Who-"

"Then let us help!" Neville says angrily. "We want to be a part of it!"

Another noise behind me, and I turn towards it. Ginny climbs through the hole in the wall closely followed by Lee Jordan, George and-

"There's my gorgeous fiancee!"

"Fred!"

My heart soaring, I run towards him. He engulfs me in his arms, lifting me off my feet to twirl me around as he kisses my lips, my nose, my cheek then my scar.

"God, Harri, I've missed you," he breathes, holding me tightly to him.

He puts me back down and lifts up my left hand, kissing the ring still on my finger. "Glad to see you haven't chickened out."

"Never." I say at once. "All of this-" I indicate around the room. "I'm fighting for us and our future, Fred."

Fred's smile is so radiant, it warms my heart.

"And as I promised," he says, pulling me back to him, "you're not alone. I will be here right by your side, okay? You and me, we're a team."

"Um-" George interrupts, tapping a finger on Fred's shoulder. "You, Harri and me, I think you mean. The real Golden Trio."

I let go of Fred to throw my arms around George's neck.

I'm so happy to see them both that I don't even realise I'm crying until George - with an awkward pat on my back - says, "Blimey, Harri. Surely the idea of marrying my brother isn't that dreadful?!"

I immediately let go of him to wipe my face with the sleeve of my jacket. Fred wraps his arms around me, kissing the top of my head.

"It's alright, my love," he murmurs, stroking my back. "George tends to have that effect on the ladies. He's always been good at reducing them to tears. Stick with the funny one, it's better for your health."

I look up at Fred, my heart full of love. And then I immediately panic, fear turning my blood ice cold.

"You can't be here," I say quickly, shaking my head at them both. "If anything happens to either of you- I can't- I just don't think I can-"

I begin to hyperventilate as I think of all the people willing to put their lives at risk: Ginny, Lupin, Tonks, Ron, Hermione, Luna... Everyone. If any of them dies tonight I'll never be able to move on. They don't have to be here - but I do.

Fred grabs my arms, shaking me. "Look- look at me, Harri," he says sternly, his brown eyes sparking determinedly into mine. "We're not leaving. None of us are going anywhere until this is over. We all love you too much - especially me. You do get that don't you? Harri... I would die for you."

"Don't say that, please," I implore. I let go of Fred to place my head in my hands.

"So what's the plan, Harri?" George asks.

"There isn't one," I say, still disoriented by the sudden appearance of my beautiful Fred, unable to take everything in while my scar is still burning so fiercely. "But whatever I do, I've got to do it fast. There isn't much time... he is coming."

The room falls deafly silence at my words. I half expect them to start screaming and leave through the hole in the wall in a mad rush. In fact - that's what I hope my statement will achieve.

"Let them help, Harri," Ron says who has since stepped up to my side. "They want to. And we need them."

"I agree," Hermione murmurs, and a hand touches my back. "You don't have to do everything alone, Harri."

A ripple of muttering breaks out. I lower my hands and look at Fred who stands there looking utterly relaxed despite this horrible situation.

"I told you, Harri," he says, a cheeky twinkle in his eye, "you can't get rid of me that easily."

I feel my lips twitch at the corners, not being able to ever resist his handsome smile and relaxed demeanor.

"All right," I say quietly, my gaze remaining on Fred's. "Okay," I call to the Room at large, silencing the mutterings as everyone turns to look at me, alert and excited.

"There's something we need to find," I continue, "Something - something that'll help us overthrow You-Know-Who. It's here at Hogwarts, but we don't know where. It might have belonged to Ravenclaw. Has anyone heard of an object like that? Has anyone ever come across something with her eagle on it, for instance?"

"Well, there's her lost diadem." Luna says serenely as she twirls a finger in her hair. "Daddy's trying to duplicate it."

Fuck me, I should have just taken Luna on this mission to begin with.

*****