18 - The Freckle

I look in horror from the twin who had just grabbed my arm to the twin still being straddled by Katie Bell.

"Harri?" the twin who still has my arm asks. "What's going on?"

"I- uh-" I feel my face literally burn as I look from twin to twin. "I thought-"

Oh fuck, this is literally so embarrassing.

"George?" Katie says furiously to the boy she'd just been snogging. "What the hell?"

I am so embarrassed that all I can do is get the fuck out of here. I shrug Fred's hand off my arm and hurry across to the exit, my face flaming as I feel everyone's eyes on me.

How the fuck can I have not remembered he has a twin? But the truth is, in all the intensity of the night, I had completely forgotten that George existed.

I ignore the rising sound of rising laughter around me. I even ignore Fred calling my name. Well, at least I think it's Fred.

I do not stop until I reach the Entrance Hall and burst through the large front doors, breathing in the cool air with relief.

"Harri?"

I am too ashamed to turn around and look at him.

"Look, I assume you thought that was me sticking my tongue down Katie's throat?"

Slowly, I turn around to face Fred, and nod, trying so hard not to burst into a torrent of shameful tears.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. "I was just so angry-"

"Hey, it's fine, don't apologise." He grins, his hands stuffed in his trouser pockets. "I'm actually totally flattered at seeing you get jealous like that. It means I can't be that much of a lousy date."

"You're not a lousy date at all," I say quickly. "I was just telling you- George, that tonight has been the best night of my life."

Fred's face instantly lights up and he removes his hands from his pocket, taking a step closer to me. "And I expect George told you otherwise before sticking his tongue down Bell's throat?"

His eyes crinkle at the corners as I nod and he throws his head back and laughs.

"It's not funny!" I say forcefully, my cheeks flaming all over again at the horror of it all. "I called Katie Bell a skank in front of the whole school!"

"She'll get over it," Fred shrugs, now closing the gap to take my hands in his. "I'm just glad you weren't the one to jump on his lap thinking it were me - I don't think I'd ever get over that."

Despite everything, my heart skips a beat. I give his hands a squeeze and move closer to him.

"You just look so much alike," I confess. And, feeling as though I may as well get everything out in the open I say, "I didn't even know if it were you or George accompanying me to the ball until tonight."

"We knew that much," Fred chuckles, letting go of my hands to pull me into a hug. "And as we're being open and honest here, I should confess that we'd even placed bets on how long we could string it out for."

"You rotters!" I let go of him to smack his arm. "And I suppose that's why you let it slip? So you could win?"

"Nope, in fact I lose just by forfeiting the game."

"But then why did you?"

"Because I wanted you to know it was me who you were on a date with."

I blush, looking away. "Thank you," I murmur as another smile tugs hopelessly at my lips.