37 - The Death

"Harri, what the hell?!"

"I'm sorry!" I say, near to tears as Sirius runs into the room and blasts a Death Eater away from me. "I though Voldemort had captured you! Kreacher told me!"

"We'll have a talk about who you should and shouldn't trust later." Sirius scolds as he blasts another Death Eater who was Crucioing Neville.

"And that's another thing," Sirius says as he begins to duel with Draco's crazy auntie, "I hear I have a Weasley twin to kill? No one hurts my goddaughter and gets away with it."

Well, he's got a fucking long list to get through.

A green jet of light blasts past my left ear.

And, true to his word, Sirius Avada Kedevras the masked git who sent it to me.

"Ha!" Sirius smirks, blowing the tip of his wand, "that'll teach you to mess with my god-"

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"

I stare in horrified silence as Bellatrix's spell hits Sirius square in the chest. His eyes pop open as stares down at it, and then back up at me.

Oh no, oh no, oh fuck no. Not again.

"Sirius!" I call, running towards him with my arm reaching out, as though I could save him from such a deadly curse.

But I do not get to him in time, and his terrified eyes never leave mine as he topples back through the veil and vanishes.

*****

It is like I'm in some kind of nightmare and I can't wake up.

Unlike after Cedric's death, I'm not admitted to the hospital wing. And I don't have Fred holding my hand and telling me everything is going to be alright.

So I return to the Slytherin common room, alone and deathly afraid of having to face Draco and explain that his father is now locked up in Azkaban all due to my little adventure.

Not that I care about Lucius. He deserves to rot in there for eternity as far as I am concerned.

As it happens, Draco is the first to greet me. In fact, given the lateness of the hour, he's the only one to greet me.

He jumps up from the sofa as I shakily enter the common room. His face pale and full of concern.

"Harri? My god, are you okay?" He strides over to me and I realise with dismay that he has no idea what has happened. "I wanted to come after you but fucking Weasley hexed me. I only came to about an hour ago."

He stops in front of me, his eyes searching me. "Harri? Did Umbridge hurt you again?"

Fuck, that seemed like a lifetime ago. Since then my world has once again been turned upside down and shaken to it's core.

"Sirius-" I whisper, and to my horror, my vision blurs and tears fall down my face, "he's dead."

Arms go around me in an instant and I find myself crying against Draco's chest. I cling to him as my body literally wracks in sobs. I am so tired and I am so drained but most of all I am so fucking sad.

Draco doesn't ask me how, or why, or when. He simply holds me until my sobs subside, stroking my back and pressing his lips down on the top of my head, soothing me in the same way Fred used to do, and I realise just how much I achingly miss him in that moment.

Once I finish crying, I let go of him, an onslaught of shame filling me for using him for comfort when he has no idea what has happened to his father.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Draco asks. "Or we could just sit, if you want?"