53 - The Wrong Franchise

"What you've got to do," Aberforth says, leaning forwards, "is to get as far from here as you can."

I sigh in frustration. On our way to Hogwarts, we stopped by Dumbledore's brother's house only for him to instantly oppose our plan to get into the castle.

But Hogwarts is surrounded with Death Eaters and we desperately need his help. Obi-Wan Kenobi is our only hope. I mean, Aberforth.

"You don't understand," I say once again as I stir another spoon of sugar into my tea. "There isn't much time. We've got to get into the castle. Dumbledore - I mean, your brother - wanted us -"

"My brother Albus wanted a lot of things," Aberforth interrupts, "and people had a habit of getting hurt while he was carrying out his grand plans. You get away from this school, Potter, and out of the country if you can. Forget my brother and his clever schemes. He's gone where none of this can hurt him, and you don't owe him anything."

"You don't understand," I say, thinking of Fred, and the future we have planned.

"Oh, don't I?" Aberforth says quietly. "You don't think I understood my own brother? Think you knew Albus better than I did?"

"I didn't mean that," I say, my brain feeling sluggish with exhaustion. "It's... he left me a job."

"Did he, now?" Aberforth says. "Nice job, I hope? Pleasant? Easy? Sort of thing you'd expect an unqualified wizard kid to be able to do without overstretching themselves?"

Ron gives a rather grim laugh. Hermione looks strained. I simply stare at the dancing flames in the fireplace, glaring in humiliation.

"You-Know-Who has won, it's over," Aberforth continues, "and anyone who's pretending different's kidding themselves. It'll never be safe for you here, Potter, he wants you too badly. So go abroad, go into hiding, save yourself."

"I can't leave," I grit angrily, "I've got a job-"

"Give it to someone else! You're engaged to Arthur's other boy, aren't you? Take him with you. Get married, have kids, forget about this place."

God that is sorely tempting. But I know Fred wouldn't run away and hide as much as I wouldn't either.

And then Aberforth proceeds to tell us about how his brother killed their sister. But it doesn't stop me from knowing that I've got to be the one who has to kill Voldemort - it really doesn't matter to me how much of a shit Dumbledore was.

I mean, it really isn't news to me.

So, reluctantly Aberforth agrees to help us, and somehow summons Neville out of a painting.

*****

"HARRI!"

"It's Potter, it's POTTER!"

"Ron!"

"Hermione!"

We had followed Neville through a passageway which dropped us into a room full of people. In an instant I am engulfed, hugged and pounded on the back, hair ruffled, hands shaken.

"Okay, okay, calm down!" Neville calls, and as the crowd backs away, I am able to take in my surroundings.

"Where are we?" I ask as I glance around at the unrecognisable room. It was like being in some kind of gigantic ship's cabin, with all the hammocks hanging from the ceiling, and tapestries of all the Hogwarts houses covering the windowless walls.

"Room of Requirement, of course!" Neville says. "Surpassed itself hasn't it? I was here first and then slowly the rest of the DA showed up."

"Oh, that'll explain the lack of Slytherin colours," I say bitterly. "Are they excluded from here then?"