45 - The Matchmaker

On the morning of my eighteenth birthday, I wake up in Bill's bed.

No, I didn't sleep with him. Fleur would most likely flay me alive if I ever touched her precious fiance.

It makes sense, logistically. As Bill has only a single bed, he is sleeping in a tent in the garden with Fleur.

I like it this way. Bill has just a small room, not much bigger than my cupboard under the stairs. The single bed fills the space, giving it a very cosy, safe feel.

I close my eyes wanting to go back into my dream where it's still last night and I am still in Fred's arms. It's my favourite place in the world, my happy place.

A knock at the bedroom door startles me awake again.

"Happy birthday, Harri!" Ron calls through the door. "Hurry up and get dressed, Mum's made you a special breakfast!"

Wow, I'm surprised at that given that her son nearly died for me last night. Perhaps she's poisoned my bacon.

"Jus' coming," I say groggily, my voice thick with sleep.

I wash and dress, the whole time conscious that I'll be seeing Fred any moment, my heart thrumming in anticipation. I tell it off. You're not allowed to love that boy anymore.

He is standing at the counter pouring tea when I enter the kitchen - there are other people in the room but I barely register them.

"Happy birthday, Harri," Hermione says brightly, entering the kitchen behind me. "Have you done magic yet? It's ever so exciting!"

Fred looks up the second she says my name, and my heart skips a beat as his brown eyes meet mine, his smile warm and kind.

"Tea for the birthday girl?" He asks, holding up the teapot.

I nod, trying desperately to find my voice. "Please," I manage.

"Milk, no sugar, because you're already sweet enough." As soon as these words leave Fred's lips I can see he regrets it. His face flushes and he turns away.

"You remember," I smile, finding him so achingly adorable that I have to stop myself from crossing the kitchen and kissing him in front of everyone.

"Of course," he says, his back to me as he continues to make my tea.

"Well, Harri, do sit down!" Molly trills, bustling over to take my arm and lead me to an empty chair next to Ginny.

There is a small pile of presents at my place and I immediately feel the stirrings of excitement as I itch to unwrap them.

"Top one's from me and 'mione," Ron says through a mouthful of toast. "She chose it."

I raise an eyebrow at him. Clearly he'd forgotten and Hermione had kindly agreed to add his name at the last minute.

It's a book on how to chat up wizards. And, given the look of fury on Ron's face when Hermione tells me it worked wonders on Krum, I just know he had no idea what it even was.

I thank Hermione, although I wonder who she expects me to chat up over the coming months. Somehow I don't think this shit will work on Voldemort.

Ginny's present is a packet of half eaten jelly beans, Molly gets me a handkerchief with my initials embroidered on it - apparently it's tradition or something. Hagrid - who spent the night in the garden shed - gave me some home made rock cakes.

"Now I know it's no owl," he says gruffly, clearly embarrassed, "but I'm a bit short on funds. Gamekeeper salary is shite. Where is Hedwig by the way?"

I suck in a sharp breath, a pain immediately forming in my throat. I guess Hagrid hadn't noticed that she'd been killed on the way over, and I didn't know if I could say the words without bursting into tears.