It wasn't until they reached the crossing that Natalie realised Lucas wasn't the only one here on a visit.

She was just about to say goodbye to Nyra when movement caught her eye. 

She had to look twice before she realised Leon was standing there, back pressed against the wall, watching her.

Nyra followed her gaze. "Holy—"

"Leon?" Natalie said, her voice like a whisper. 

It felt unnatural seeing him here, especially after trying not to think of him since she got her latest results back. Mr Pham had refused to budge on the 89. The thought of it loomed over her. First 89, then what? How far had she slipped in the days since she started getting distracted?

But seeing Leon, it was like a breath of fresh air. It felt like she'd been holding her breath since the last time she saw him, and now that he was here again, her lungs were finally working right.

All thoughts of school vanished from her mind.

She paused, realising how terrible that really was. No wonder her grades had been slipping. And this close to the medical admissions exams? She had to refocus.

That was a problem for later.

"What are you doing here?" Natalie asked.

Leon stepped forward, unsure. His eyes moved to Nyra, then back to Natalie. She realised what he was worried about.

"It's okay. This is Nyra. She was there when Tyler... She won't tell my dad about you," Natalie recovered.

Leon nodded, realisation hitting him, and held a hand towards Nyra. "Nice to meet you. I'm Leon. Hughes. I go to Sierra Grammar."

Nyra took his hand, her face lighting up as she glanced back at Natalie. She was smitten.

"I'm Nyra, Nat's best friend," she replied.

"I was going to walk you back to Sierra's," Leon said to Natalie.

She nodded. She'd almost forgotten that he said he would do that. It had been days since he made that promise. She thought for a moment that he had forgotten too.

Now that he'd stepped forward into the sunlight, she could see him properly. She scanned him over, looking for any fresh bruises or cuts.

When she didn't find any, she asked, "Are you hurt?"

"Hurt?" he echoed. He frowned, thinking for a moment, before blinking and releasing a light chuckle. "I'm fine. I just wanted to walk you in case Tyler showed up again. And—I just wanted to walk with you, honestly."

Nyra looked at Natalie, her eyes wide. Natalie warmed.

"Oh," she muttered.

"Well, I have a kid's cello class to teach," Nyra said, grinning. "Leon, it was lovely to meet you. Tell your friend Lucas to stop blocking the front gates. It seems like a fire hazard. Nat, I'll see you tomorrow."

Natalie nodded, waving as Nyra practically skipped across the road and out of sight.

"So, that's Nyra," Leon said, grabbing her attention again.

She nodded, beginning to walk. "I told you she doesn't hate you."

He laughed, following. "Maybe not me, but it sounds like she hates Lucas. It's not really his fault, I asked him to drop me off here."

The thought of Leon asking his friend to drive him to Natalie's school just to walk back with her made her heart skip a beat. The idea of Leon thinking about her in general when she wasn't around made her pulse quicken.