35 The island of screams

The port of Lakki/Leros

At the crack of dawn there was a knock at the door. Before Tom could get to his feet, Nikos stormed into the room and promptly trampled over Dave, who jumped up, startled.

"It's pretty crowded here," Nikos said dryly. "Tom, get dressed, we need to talk."

On the roof terrace, in the bright light, Tom noticed that his friend didn't look well.

"What's the matter Nikos? You look shattered."

"It's true, I'm not feeling well. I did not sleep at all last night. Tom, I don't have a good feeling about the Leros thing. Smuggling fake passports, okay, we've gotten get used to things like that. But I think spying on a spy is going too far. Who knows who he works for? It's dangerous as hell, and I wanted to remind you again that you don't have to do any of this."

"Nikos, I admit I'm scared. You're right, it's dangerous. You can't hide on Leros, let alone run away. I have thought about calling off the spy thing as it feels like it's a size too big for me. It's just that we're doing the right thing. The very fact that this island exists proves how necessary it is what we're doing. I asked myself if it was worth the risk, and it is."

Nikos nodded:

"And I have firmly resolved that we will only accept such orders together in the future."

Mrs. Tsikou brought them Nescafé. Tom changed the subject to give Nikos - and himself - something else to think about. He chatted about Manos and Sandy. There was news about this.

"I spoke to Yannis," reported Nikos. "The house that Georgios mentioned is empty. The owner wants to rent or sell it as soon as possible. By the way, there is a garage for two cars on the property, which could also be used as a workshop."

When Dave and Philipos joined them, Nikos discussed some details of their trip to Patras with the Englishman, and Tom chatted with Philipos, who was a bit afraid of going home. Dave also wanted to go to Salamis, to visit Anna. He offered to accompany Philipos to his parents' home, which Phil gratefully accepted.

Martin arrived and informed them about Jürgen's visit. Nikos wasn't very pleased that two "outsiders" showed up in one day. He feared that at some point someone would spill the beans and endanger them. He resolved to invite both Philipos and Jürgen to an interview as soon as possible and to take them into their confidence.

Mr. Tsikos watched the young people.

"I haven't known them to be like that, so serious," he said to his wife.

"They're scared, and they have every reason to be. Who knows what they are supposed to do on Leros. I hope nothing happens to them," she replied.

"Let's hope they'll come back safely from that dreadful island."

"Let's hope they'll come back at all. I'd love to go and wish them luck, but we can't know where they're going and what they're doing when they get there."

"I'd rather we really didn't know at all where they are going."

Tom and Sophia were on the phone. She announced she would come to the ship at seven, but whether she would be allowed to visit her "cousins" again was anyone's guess. She suspected that passengers would be screened more closely on this route. The ship called at two more islands before reaching its final port of Lakki on the island of Leros. If necessary, she would try to get a place on deck for a trip to the first island the ferry called at for a few drachmas.

Dave and Phil wished Tom, Martin and Sandy the best of luck who were heading to the university with Manos. As they left the hotel, they notices two DEI (the Greek electricity company) workers in gray uniforms who were fumbling with an electrical box at the top of the stairs into town. When the four boys had passed them, they locked the box. They waited for the quartet to cross Kallidromiou Street at the bottom of the stairs, then followed them.