21 If there are angels

Around 8 a.m., everyone - except for Tom, Nikos, Sophia, and Heike – had breakfast in front of the tents. Georgios made a big pot of tea, others distributed bread, tomatoes, honey and jam. Half an hour later Alexander went with four boys to dig a new toilet in the little grove. Spiros announced he would run with Michael to the tavern and back and after that organize an hour's practice on the beach which would be finished with a few rounds of wrestling. He had to keep training anyway, and he thought a little workout would be good for everyone. Several boys and girls wanted to run.

Stelios was going to show Dave and Georgios how to steer the boat, which meant that they had to put it in the water first. A lot of strong men were needed for this, because of course they couldn't tow the trailer onto the beach by car. Sophia joined the others and invited the musicians to rehearse a bit at lunchtime. Her goal was to start a real band.

Everyone helped to maneuver the boat trailer into the water with the help of a few planks that were repeatedly moved toward the water which prevented the wheels of the trailer from getting stuck in the loose sand. The boat floated and they dragged the trailer back up the beach and parked it next to the tents.

Some of the youths ran, others did their first test laps in the boat, some shoveled a hole for the toilet, others cleaned the dishes with damp rags. When the "athletes" returned, Spiros was a little cross, because he wanted to use the training to finally teach Tom a little fighting, a few wrestling holds and some boxing, but there was no sign of Tom anywhere. Spiros asked around, but no one had seen him. Sandy offered to find him, and Spiros told him to hurry.

Sandy suspected that he'd find the two boys that were missing this morning somewhere in the dunes. He searcheduntil he found the right hollow. He crouched on the crest of the dunes and looked at the two. Nikos and Tom slept tightly embraced, and it was already eleven. As they lay there, he could imagine how the night had gone. However, his imagination had nothing in common with reality.

Finally he tore himself away from the enviable sight:

"Tom, wake up. Spiros is waiting."

Tom jumped up from the blanket. He stood stark naked in the morning sun and replied:

"Tell him I'll be right there."

Sandy stalked off, thinking his own part. And then he had an idea, a bold one, a crazy one, a daring one. It was time to take a risk, he decided.

Stelios let his two companions in on the secrets of the big inflatable boat. The engine was powerful, very powerful, and at full throttle and in bends They had to be careful not to go over the top - the bow of the boat reared up dangerously. Stelios said the boat would be easier to maneuver if there were more people on board. Then they mastered it to the point that the water ski tours could begin.

At the same time, some boys tried exercise along with Spiros and Michael, which was easy for some but very difficult for others. Sandy, who had returned in the meantime, tried his best because he had a fight with Spiros ahead of him. However, the Spiros and Michael regularly managed twice as many repetitions as he did.

The power training had just ended when Tom joined the other boys.

"Did you sleep well, young man?" Spiros quipped. "It's time I get you in shape a bit."

Tom's bones were aching and he didn't feel rested. The one large tomato he had had for breakfast hadn't really fed him sufficiently. Nonetheless, he bravely replied:

"I've waited a year for this."

Spiros and Michael practiced grips, throws and locks for half an hour. Tom was paired with Martin, who was a bit taller but just as untrained as he was. Spiros showed, explained, demonstrated, and corrected - he was a good teacher. Tom was fully awake now, and he was getting on well with Martin. He found it amazing what you can do with your arms and legs. He had fun.