Continuing my internal rant, I left my last class of the day. Unfortunately, I had a follower: Katie.

“Hey,” She said, coming up from behind and wrapping her arm around me.

“Hi,” I said, shortly. I didn’t have time for this crazy girl today.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m trying to walk home,” I said, annoyed.

“I don’t have band practice until 4:30 so I’ll walk you home,” Katie said, excitedly.

“Um…no, I’m fine,” I said. No way in hell was I letting her know where I live. She was crazy with a capital C.

“No, it’s fine. I don’t mind at all,” Katie said, oblivious as always.

“Well, I do,” I said, yanking myself away. Katie didn’t listen to a damn thing I said; she just kept walking like nothing had happened. I stared at her in disbelief, but didn’t say anything. If she tried to put the moves on me, I would punch her and run. Sounded like a good plan to me.

                Katie kept on talking about wrestling and band. I had no attention to waste on her. All of mine was saved for Bailey. I loved her: plain and simple. I couldn’t deny it. Admitting that lifted weight off my chest.

“Dezzy, what’s the matter?” Katie asked, interrupting my internal revelation.  

“Um…nothing,” I said, shaking my head.

“Come on, Dezzy,” She whined, pulling me in front of her with her hands enclosing my wrists. I pulled away and turned around without saying a word. Through my anger and frustration, I heard Katie’s footsteps following mine. Luckily I was only a block away from my house. She would be gone soon enough.

                I walked up my driveway and still heard her footsteps following me. I stopped, turning around, slowly.

“Bye, Katie?” I said, slowly.

“Can I come in?” Katie asked, smiling that creepy smile of hers.

“Uh…no. Girls aren’t allowed inside when there is no one else at home,” I said, grateful for my mom’s crazy rule.

“Not even for a minute?” That would be two minutes too long, I thought.

“No, they’d be pretty pissed if they found out,” I said, backing away. She frowned as if that would change anything. “Well, bye.”

“Bye, Dezzy.” She said, standing there. I went inside the house and locked the door, in case. I leaned against the door, sighing. I flipped through my phone, searching for missed calls and texts. It wasn’t a surprise, but it was disheartening when I found none. With one last look at my place, I started on my chores and another mountain of homework.

                The nest day came. No Bailey. The same on Wednesday and Thursday. I messaged her, called her. No response. People kept asking me where she was. I guess I wasn’t the only person she was ignoring. She wasn’t on Facebook either, and hadn’t shown up to softball as well. It was as if she fallen off the face of the earth. It wasn’t until Saturday morning that Bailey showed any existence of life on this earth.

                My phone vibrated next to my ear, shaking me out of the dreams I was having. I opened my eyes, sleepily. Then they widened to the size of saucers when I realized it might be Bailey. Okay, Dezzy chances are it isn’t her. It is probably just my dad or Coach. Prepared, I flipped my phone open. My heart skipped a beat when I saw who it was: Bailey.