Chapter 8: Seat Change

◎ "Chen Yimian, you've got some skills." ◎

Song Qiwen walked into the classroom and announced before starting the lecture, "Zhou Yi, you'll stand and listen for this class."

"It's a disciplinary issue."

Zhou Yi didn't have any objections and replied, "Understood," then stood up with his exercise book in hand.

However, Chen Yimian, after hearing the teacher's arrangement, suddenly looked up and glanced at Zhou Yi.

She felt uneasy about letting Zhou Yi take the blame for her, and now she was making him stand and listen to a whole class in front of their new classmates on the first day of school. She couldn't help but feel restless.

Burying her head in a stack of books on the desk, she looked at him and asked, "Are you okay?"

Zhou Yi glanced at her, his expression indifferent, and replied with a flat tone, "Hmm."

It seemed to always be like this. Zhou Yi, who occasionally appeared repugnant on ordinary days, always offered her the greatest help without any hesitation in critical moments when she needed it the most.

Chen Yimian was not someone who could accept others' kindness calmly and without concern.

Just as Song Qiwen was drawing auxiliary lines on the blackboard, preparing to explain a geometry proof problem, she suddenly stood up with a "swish," took a thin test paper, and stood next to Zhou Yi.

Zhou Yi glanced at her with some confusion and asked, "What are you doing?"

Chen Yimian looked straight ahead, with a sense of righteousness, and said, "It's my phone that caused the trouble, so I should be the one standing. I'll stand with you."

"No need."

Zhou Yi said so, but the corners of his mouth unconsciously curved up.

As Song Qiwen turned around after finishing the auxiliary lines, he immediately noticed the two people standing upright at the back of the classroom and smiled, "What's the matter, Chen Yimian?"

Chen Yimian replied, "Teacher, I feel a bit sleepy. I can concentrate better when I'm standing and listening."

Song Qiwen paused for a moment, his gaze shifting between the two, his smile gradually fading but then rising again.

"Okay."

"Anyone else feeling sleepy can also stand up and listen. If you're afraid of blocking the classmates behind, you can stand in the aisle. Let's continue."

Although the classroom had air conditioning on during the hot summer, the smell became unpleasant after a while. The back door was left open, and the 9 o'clock morning sun slanted in through the back door. Zhou Yi's peripheral vision suddenly brightened.

He turned his face to look and saw the light shining on Chen Yimian's profile. Tiny specks of dust danced above her head, and her long eyelashes cast a shadow on her eyelids, gently fluttering under the effect of the light.

Like a small fan.

It also lightly flickered in Zhou Yi's heart. He casually leaned against the seam of his pants and subconsciously curled up a bit.

A very subtle feeling.

As he became aware, he hastily averted his gaze as if startled.

But at this moment, Chen Yimian, without any warning, raised her face and looked at him.

"How about that? Am I loyal enough?"

She blinked playfully at him, as if seeking recognition.

Zhou Yi lowered his eyes and replied calmly, "What? Do you want a gold star for that?"