Chapter 5 "Zhou Yi, help me!"

On the day before school started, Chen Yimian bombarded Zhou Yi with phone calls early in the morning.

He had stayed up playing games until dawn the previous night, and no matter how much his mother, Miao Lanqing, tried to wake him up in the morning, he wouldn't budge. But Chen Yimian seemed to have endless ways to torment him.

He answered the phone with a voice filled with heavy drowsiness.

"I'm telling you, can't you give me a break for just one day?"

"Help me open a door, and then you can go back to sleep."

"How thoughtful of me, right?"

"Are you expecting me to praise you?"

That's how Zhou Yi responded, but he still got up from his bed and reluctantly walked to open the door for Chen Yimian.

He did open the door, but he didn't let her in. Leveraging his tall stature, he leaned against the door handle and blocked Chen Yimian's way.

"I'm telling you, you come to my house right after my mom leaves—"

"Is that a bit inappropriate?"

Chen Yimian knew he was intentionally picking a fight and couldn't be bothered with him. She agilely slipped under his arm and headed towards Zhou Yi's room without even looking back.

From the outside, it seemed as if she was returning to her own room.

Zhou Yi, with his long legs, quickly caught up to Chen Yimian and grabbed the back of her collar just as she was about to step into his room.

"Who told you that you can freely enter a guy's room?"

Chen Yimian disdainfully pursed her lips, freeing herself from his grasp, and said, "What? Are you doing something you don't want me to see?"

It wasn't surprising that Chen Yimian was somewhat oblivious. At this age, it was impossible not to understand the distinction between genders. But growing up together with Zhou Yi since childhood, they had become too familiar with each other, to the point where she gradually forgot about gender differences. She never really saw Zhou Yi as a boy.

There were almost no secrets between them.

Zhou Yi scoffed and let her in.

Ignoring how she could be in such high spirits early in the morning, she made her way to the bathroom on her own.

After Zhou Yi finished washing up and came back to his room with his hair still wet, he found Chen Yimian sitting on his floor. The LEGO set she had given him was dismantled, with pieces scattered all over.

He crossed his arms and leaned against the door frame, appearing relaxed, and chuckled before speaking, "So, was this bought for me, or did you buy it for yourself?"

Chen Yimian smiled sweetly, "Didn't you say last time that we could build it together?"

"Come on then."

Zhou Yi nodded, not having any objections. He wasn't in a hurry to start either, so he pulled out a chair in front of his desk and sat down.

Speaking of which, Chen Yimian's "birthday gift" was a bit out of the ordinary. No wonder he didn't initially realize what she meant when she said she was going back to buy him a gift.

In Jianglin City, it was customary to celebrate birthdays according to the lunar calendar, and the corresponding date in the Gregorian calendar varied each year.

Zhou Yi's birthday fell in the eighth lunar month, and last year his birthday did coincide with the end of summer vacation. However, this year his birthday was closer to National Day at the end of September.