"Thanks," Venus said quietly.

"So," he said slowly, "I liked your song."

"Bit sad, don't you think?" Venus' sighed.

"I still like the song," he told her. He put his hand on top of hers. "I... I still like you."

Venus let out a shaky breath, "Please don't do this to me."

"I'm sorry," he told her, "I just don't know what to do."

"I don't either," Venus sighed. "I'm not... I'm not really going out with Shawn. I just use him as a distraction."

"I thought you said he asked you out on a date," Nick spoke, confused.

"A friendly one. So I can remember what it's like to go on dates and not just be used for making out," Venus sighed, "My point is, I use him to distract me from my feelings for you."

"You still have feelings for me?"

"It's suffocating," Venus told him, tears filling her eyes, "To like you so much and not do anything about it. And I would choose Charlie's happiness over mine every day but... sometimes I just wish I had just kissed you that night you told me about how you felt."

"I'm really sorry," Nick told her, a tear rolling down his cheek. He felt so guilty for everything he was putting Venus through. This whole time she's been pushing her own feelings aside and letting him discover himself. He just didn't realise how much he had been hurting her in the process. "For everything. I never realised how hard staying friends with me must have been for you."

"It was worth it," Venus shrugged, "To have just some of you for a bit."

"That's not fair," he told her, "Maybe I can talk to Charlie—"

"No," Venus cut him off, "Charlie is so happy and I would hate to be the reason he wasn't. You need to let me go."

"I don't want to."

"Please."

Nick stared at her with a frown. He let his eyes flicker down to his lips and felt angry at himself for not letting himself kiss her once. He didn't know if he could go on without ever knowing how she tasted and felt against him. He wanted to know her and she was telling him he needed to let her go. As if anyone could ever let her go. Her glossed lips shined in the light and being this close to her face, he could smell the strawberry scent. It was almost amusing, how sweet she smelled despite her sour moods.

"Venus!"

Venus tore her gaze away from Nick and turned around. Charlie was stood in the doorway, eyes flickering between the two, brows furrowing in confusion. He wanted to ask but wasn't quite sure he wanted to answer.

"Nick got me a banana split," Venus told him, giving him a fake smile as she stood up, "Did you give him that idea? To cheer me up about Shawn?"

"Uh, no, I had no idea he did that," he shook his head, "Are you okay, though?"

"A little upset but I'll be fine," Venus shrugged, "Especially once I see my little superstar on the drums."

Charlie rolled his eyes, glancing at Nick who had stood up. There was a question on the tip of his tongue but he was pretty sure he'd regret asking. He looked over at the girl beside him and let the thoughts wash away. Venus was his best friend. She would never do anything like that to hurt him.

"We're actually looking for Tara and Darcy right now," Charlie explained, "We should rush. The concert is about to start."

Venus nodded and they began to look around, poking their heads into classrooms and doors to try and find the two girls. They eventually met up with Tao and Elle, who were also looking for them. Eventually, they could hear the girls banging on a door and calling for them.