Chapter 6 - Red

Red waited as his mother read out the names of the cards. "Wheel of Fortune, Ace of Cups reversed, Seven of Swords reversed, Moon reversed, and the Lovers."

"Alright, ma, what's it telling me?"
Red just wanted to get this whole thing over with. He had a feeling that what his mother thought was awesome would be very difficult on himself.
"My son, you're in an exciting space of time right now." Her eyes took on the glassy sheen they got whenever she started to "go beyond."
"This moment will shape the rest of your life. This is your destiny calling you." She frowned then, showing creases on her forehead. "But you're blocking yourself. You aren't letting these feelings in. Not acknowledging them. But you know they're there. You carry them around like fragile birds."
Red didn't exactly know what that part about the birds meant, but he continued to listen anyway.
"What are you afraid of, son? Let it go. It has no place here. Your heart has no room for fear as it is already full of her. She's your destiny."

Red looked at his mother then, watching the far away look in her eyes fade as she came back to the now.
"How do you know, mom? It seems impossible."
"I've seen her. She walks through trees and calls for you. I've seen her every day for three days now. I know who she is." A pause, "Alaric, her eyes. Have you seen them?"
"Yes mom, they're green."
"No my son. She has yellow eyes. Yellow. Like stars burning."
Aurora leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes. Red now knew why she had been acting so strange. She'd been having visions - who knew how many or how long they lasted - for days. He left her to rest, made himself a tea, and settled onto the back porch steps.
Red had been right. There would be no going back now that he had this new information. Most people would scoff at his mother's words, but Red knew better. After almost 28 years of trials and tribulations, he knew he was better off heeding her advice. Every. Single. Time.

But back to business. Red pushed the reading to the back of his mind where it sat like an incessantly buzzing insect, and turned his thoughts to the task Shannon had given him. He was going to have to face Rogue again, and he would need to be on top of his game.