{16}

Tanjiro splashed water on Kanao. "Sorry sorry!" He apologized immediately, feeling bad. She smiled in response, wiping herself off with a napkin.

Naho, Kiyo, and Sumi cheered in the background. "Yay Tanjirooooo!" He beamed at them, also cheering himself on in his head. When his eyes opened, a pair of gold-tinted white eyes looked at him. All was quiet as he jumped in surprise.

She looked different, her energy was different, and her smell carried a lightness to it rather than the demonic pressure it used to have.

The boy closed his mouth, trying to find words. "Kimiona-?" His voice was faint. She smiled and gently grabbed his face, pulling him in for a kiss. Tanjiro was dumbstruck, but quickly sunk into the kiss.

It was warm, no longer cold like death. Nothing in his mind flashed warnings of threat anymore.

No more danger, just him and her. Holding each other tightly. The kiss broke off and the two took a moment to breathe. "What happened? You're way different now." He admitted.

She hummed with a smile, touching their foreheads together. "Tamayo, the doctor demon helped make a canceling drug to kill the rest of his cells in me, but the sun did most of the work. Apparently I can use the sun to get stronger instead of eating flesh, which means I won't have to kill humans anymore." Her smile never faded while explaining, very excited to see the boy's reaction.

He grabbed her hands in his, "thank you."

"Huh?"

"You went to all that trouble just to accommodate me... I can't imagine how much it hurt you, especially spending time in the sun like that." She shook her head.

"It is worth it." The demon responded as his rough hands squeezed her soft ones gently, before turning her palms up and observing her pale skin. Only now Tanjiro noticed the black tattoo-like cracks that traveled up her left hand, it traveled up her sleeve and reappeared on her neck. They stopped just below her cheekbone, a beautiful network lacing her skin.

"Hello Kimiona." A very quiet voice spoke behind the two. It was Kanao, who held a coin in her hand as she ducked her head nervously. The demon in question smiled.

"Hi, butterfly girl." Tanjiro chuckled at this. Kimiona patted her on the head. "You should change, now you're all wet." The girl nodded and scurried out of the room.

The triplets also left, sensing that the two needed some space.

The demon lunged for Tanjiro, engulfing him in a warm hug as they rolled along the floor from the momentum. They both laughed, delighted by the other's presence.

They spent a few quiet minutes tangled together, breathing. Kimiona pecked the boy's face a few times as he gently tried to push her off of him. Eventually they sat back from each other, blushing.

"Tanjiro." She grew serious, wringing her hands together at his intense gaze.

"We should leave, take Nezuko and spend some time in the mountains."

"I can't, Nezuko needs-" the demon grabbed his hands once again.

A pleading look crossed her face, "we both know things are going to fall to shit. We'll have to face him soon. Someone's going to die. We both know this. I-" she paused for a shaky breath. "I want to be selfish and have you to myself - at least for a little bit - before that happens." Tanjiro watched her gaze fall. Her eyes held despair.

He wanted that too. If only they had time...

"I-" he tried.

"Go." A new voice said. "Both of you ought to run as fast as you can. Go to a small village, take a month to yourselves, but keep training. Get stronger together. That's how you'll beat Muzan." Shinobu crossed her arms, smiling faintly. "Both of you deserve to experience some happiness." Tanjiro looked at her with his jaw dropped.

"Thank you, hashira." Kimiona nodded her head solemnly, reaching for Tanjiro's hand. She pulled him up and they walked out of the room. They took Nezuko and left, towards Tanjiro's old hometown.

🌸
OMG MY CRAPPY STORY BROKE 300 READS?!? Whaaaaaa 😱 thank you guys so much <3
I don't have any more prewritten drafts, so let us pray that I'll actually start writing again 🫡 - Shayleigh