{14}

She finally boiled over, in the basement of the butterfly mansion, with years of repressed feelings. Rage, self-loathing, hate, and her very nature swirled up into a storm.

The world washed into a red, nearly blocking out her vision entirely. Kimiona couldn't hear anything over the heartbeat pounding in her own ears and the static sounds of an unclear mind.

With a pained scream - which sounded like the cry of a cornered animal - the demon lashed out on the furniture first. Everything was upturned, smashed, and had deep claw marks. The loud crashes and her heavy breathing made Kimiona even more angry.

She shook as the walls were her next target of assault. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she clawed at her confines. Escape, jumbled through her thoughts.

Complying, Kimiona stumbled to the door, tearing it off of it's hinges and flashing outside. Of course, Shinobu knew and followed her.

The freezing evening air hit her, yanking at the demon's long hair as she rapidly stumbled towards a clove of trees. Kimiona clawed at her face all the while. A trail of blood and angry cries followed in her wake.

Shinobu silently followed the spattered trail of blood. Her hand gently rested on the hilt of her sword as she jogged along behind the raging demon. The slayer's mind raced with thoughts and questions; why is it so upset? I don't understand any of this, how could a demon attach to a human like that without the blood lust? How could they- she grew queasy just thinking about the two kissing. The demon was at least a hundred years older than the boy!

Kimiona was clawing at her surroundings in a flurry. The bug hashira could barely make out an extra set of arms in the fray.

After some minutes, Shinobu disrupted the fit, causing the demon's head to snap towards her. The human observed the demon's face. Usually it was smooth and peaceful, like a calm lake. But now, it was a rushing river. Her lips were in a snarl, brows furrowed down as tears mixed with the blood caused by her own claws.

She looked like a wild beast. Shinobu frowned, it was just a demon after all. She had to remember that.

In a flash, Kimiona had pinned the girl down, faces inches apart. Shinobu didn't struggle, Tanjiro was watching. He needed to see the reality of his 'lover'.

Angry spit dripped onto her face as the demon spoke, "do you think I wanted to be like this?" The demon slayer had no response, simply feeling the pressure of the demon's arms crushing hers.

The claws didn't draw blood, though, as her captor shook violently. Tanjiro watched from the trees as the demon he so dearly liked took on a twisted form. All of her gentleness was gone, leaving bare a bloodthirsty, violent beast in its wake.

The boy was afraid. Afraid he had made a mistake when letting her into his heart.

The demon breathed in with a shaky breath, "I remember my life before becoming a demon... do- do you think I wanted this?!"

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she backed away from the demon slayer, who stood up and dusted herself off. The two made silent eye contact.

"I almost killed my Tanjiro. He isn't safe with me, not right now at least. I'm going to visit an old friend... I'll find him when I'm..." her voice shook, making Tanjiro's heart clench. "Better." Then, the demon made direct eye contact with him, displaying a sad smile with tear streaks and healing scratches before she disappeared.

Shinobu turned to the boy with a look of pity after seeing his shocked face. "When did she-"

"When you fought the spider demon. Giyu said she lunged for your sleeping body, clearly blood thirsty. But something snapped her out of it." His stomach sank ever so slightly. Of course he couldn't trust the demon. She had eaten humans, unlike Nezuko. She still held the instinct.

Tanjiro looked down, how could he have forgotten such a simple fact?

Strong arms wrapped around his exhausted figure, it was all he could want after a long day of training. He sunk into the warm feeling, eyes fluttering shut after a kiss on the cheek gently lulled him into sleep.

It made sense though, after he thought about it. She was his safe place, something to lean on, someone that was always there for him and his sister. The boy's hands clenched. How could she just leave without talking to him?

"It's been a long day for you, let's go back." Shinobu said plainly before grabbing the boy and dragging him back to the mansion for treatment.

🌸
I'm in desperate need of feedback, so lay it on me! -Shayleigh