Dim and Gusty

🌶️🌶️😩😉SMUT SMUT SMUT SMUT SMUT

Spring

    Assaulting bands of blue light reflect against your eyes from the screen of your phone. The dim ambiance of the bar had allowed your eyes to adjust to the darkness, which were now under the attack of an LED display. Mercilessly you have been ripped from the warmth and welcome against the flickering lights of Gus' pub and pulled down to earth as you face the people you had left behind... person.

    Shockingly your father hadn't sent many messages post to the few he'd written during your first week in Pelican Town. What had appeared as a frenzy of concern and genuine "giving-a-shit" had quickly subsided when your lack of available modern communication had been cut slack. Only two more emails had hit your inbox after that first week, bearing no mind to the others you simply open the most recent.

    (Y/N),

    I hope the farm is treating you well and you've adjusted quickly. If the work does prove too difficult, I can always offer you a starting position at the firm.

    Your mother would be proud that you've fulfilled her wishes, your grandfather as well.

    If you feel no need to speak to me, please disregard my messages and continue on as you have.

    Best, Dad

    Phillip Morgan, COO.

    You scoff at the inclusion of his title and the daring mention of "generously" offering a starting position at the firm. Being the overseer of all corporate functions, you'd imagine he could be gracious enough to offer something respectable... then again, he was the type to believe that people belong where they are meant to be.

    Daring to scroll deeper into the dumped messages, the seething resentment is hard to suppress. A stein of pale ale heavily hits the tabletop of your booth, briefly stealing you from the bubbling rage.

    "It looked like you needed another, your dinner should be out soon." Emily informs you as she wipes her hands against a grimy waist apron.

    "Oh, thank you, please keep them coming."

    She bumps a hip into the table edge and asserts herself, "Uff, one of those nights huh? You want anything stronger?... or maybe I shouldn't be encouraging you to drink as a coping mechanism."

    "Isn't it your job to sell drinks to me, Emily?" You tease.

    "Yes, well, I think my concern for you is more important than Gus making a buck." Her fingers tap softly on the tabletop, "Are you okay? Seriously, you've got yourself hidden in this booth." She crouches to your level.

    You up the chipper lilt in your voice, "Really, I'm okay, just a long day."

    Her hand grips gently onto your shoulder with a gentle shake, "Okay, I'll have your maki roll out soon, Gus gets kind of anal about slicing them perfectly." She shakes her head.

    "Well, it's Gus, what can we do?" You joke.

    With a scrunch of the nose she's off back to collecting empty glasses and ushering regulars to their preferred tables. It's nice to have this usual gathering of neighbors, the routine is anything but mundane. In the dark corner beside the fireplace however, the usually brooding Shane is still absent. He should arrive soon enough, it's already 8:00.

    Anxiously your thumbnails tap against the glass of your phone screen as you think whether it be best to reply to dad or not. It would be so much easier if he were willing to use any social media that offers messaging, but he fears interacting with anything that could tarnish his image. This of course also effectively created a stronger sense of the distance that he wants to stay from you.