Salt and Ale

🚩🌶️ KISSING

Spring.

You keep your eyes down and let whoever it is pass by unnoticed, you just need to catch your breath for a moment.

    "We always end up out here. At least we have every time I mean. Every time I've seen you here." Shane's low voice comments.

    In disbelief you look over to be met by Shane's face, confirming that he was in fact there. Deep breaths fill your lungs as you try and forget Emily trying to play matchmaker and the outfit she had you dress up in. It felt like you were exposed now standing out in the darkness in shorts and sandals.

    "Yeah, I guess we do." You reply quietly and look back at the stone walkway.

    Shane is silent for a few moments before trudging over and leaning against the wall beside you. Silence continues and is only broken by the continued chirps of insects and night fowl. Oddly enough the quiet is calming rather than demanding. You feel no need now to speak up and break the silence.

    Liquid gurgles as Shane swigs at one of the two full beers he had brought out with him. The glass clinks against the brick wall gently when he drops his arm.

    "It's a nice night." He comments without emotion.

    You glance to him next to you, "It is. Spring feels like it's here now."

    Shane turns to you and holds your eyes in silence. Allover again you are swept up into the complexity of them. The pain, the passion, the hidden depths of broken dreams and foggy memories. Heartbeats in your ears slow now in the calm of the night, there is no pressure from outsiders to dictate your actions.

    "I'll be right back." Shane informs you before going back inside the bar.

    Alone once again you close your eyes and breathe in the warm air. The night feels slow now. Peace to leave you to the decisions of how the night will go.

    You pull your cell phone from the tote bag and the clock reads that it is barely 9pm. The night is young, full of unexpected promise and opportunity.

    Gus' wifi connects and your notifications explode with social media messages from your father. Scrolling down as far as you can they all read his name. Only having wifi when you're at Gus' probably left your dad worried for your wellbeing. That isn't something you want to deal with now and you drop the phone back into your bag. Bricks scratch at your shoulders as you lean back against the wall and breathe in the silence.

    The saloon door creaks open and Shane is by your side again. In his hand is a six pack of the pale ales you'd been drinking every time you came to the saloon.

    "I think you like these ones... right? I always see you drink them."

    Gleefully you nod and bite your lip to diminish the smile creeping out. He had been paying attention to you and took care to remember something you liked. Shivers ripple down your legs in this proximity to him.

    "You wanna go?" He asks, head downward but his eyes look up to you.

    You nod again in the same way, "Yeah. That sounds good."

    Enjoying the ambiance of the night you walk with him again in silence. The sounds of clinking bottles occasionally ring out from the case Shane is swinging beside him. He leads the path to the beach again. This feels like a common theme for you two now.