XIII

"IF THE LANDLINE IN THIS BUILDING WASN'T DEAD, I'D CALL THE COPS ON YOUR ASS

"IF THE LANDLINE IN THIS BUILDING WASN'T DEAD, I'D CALL THE COPS ON YOUR ASS."

"Mommy!" Greeted Bianca, pulling the lollipop out of her mouth. "Look what Miss. Stephanie bought me!"

Her mother glanced down and flashed an insincere smile before fixating her gaze on Stephanie. This time, Bianca's mother seemed more lucid and focused.

"You know you just committed a kidnapping."

Stephanie didn't refute the claim. Technically, she had. "I took Bianca to the hospital. Her knee wound is infected."

"I know," said her mother. "I was planning on taking her after my shift."

"I'm sorry. I was worried."

"She's not your child to worry about."

Stephanie nodded, "I'll get out of your hair."

As she turned to leave, she caught sight of a picture perched on a built in shelf. It had clearly been taken years ago. Bianca's mother looked almost a decade younger, with a fun smile and lovely blonde hair.

Although it had been taken in a dark room, the location of the picture was familiar. When Stephanie saw her shirt with the letter "M" stamped on it, ice filtered through her veins like water.

"I'll see you around, Maroni." She said in her distinct southern accent. Stephanie furrowed her eyebrows.

How do I know her?

"Kimberly?" Stephanie gasped. She stuck her foot and stopped the door from closing. "Kimmy Banks from Madamn's House?"

Kimmy's eyes met hers, a hate so potent it startled Stephanie.

"Yeah," said Kimmy. "The one and only."

"How have you been?" Stephanie grinned before remembering their housing situations.

"Hm, not too good but you already knew that."

"I'm sorry," she said.

"I don't need your pity," she spat.

Stephanie looked at her confused, "What happened, Kimmy?"

"You family is what happened. I spent 13 years in that hell-hole and then one day I have no job. Sal Maroni fired the staff and let the business go under without a single warning. He left us for dead."