VII

STEPHANIE CARMICHAEL WAS AN EXPERT AT KEEPING SECRETS

When her first boyfriend hit her, Stephanie stayed quiet out of an intrinsic desire for self-preservation and control. She wanted dignity, even if it was under false pretenses. Although her following  partners never abused her like Fallon Gordon did, they had their own skeletons practically falling out of their closets.

So, in truth, Stephanie was a secret-keeper, but Bruce Wayne's vigilante identity and its implications were eating her up alive.

"You're quiet today, kid."

Stephanie looked up, fork in hand. She put it in her mouth, grinning at her brother with a mouth full of salad.

"And?" She said, chewing loudly.

"Stop that," said Sal. "You're disgusting."

"Hah!" Stephanie laughed. "Says you."

He rolled his eyes.

"How's Angie and the kids?"

"Angie still hates my guts but the boys are less trouble 'cause they're all grown up."

"Yeah?"

"Pino got himself his first academic award last month and Umberto's captain of the soccer team. Rony, well, everyday she looks more and more like Ma."

Stephanie smiled but looked more sad than happy. "I bet. I haven't seen them in ages."

"Yeah..." her brother said, an unreadable look in his brown eyes. "You should come with me next week, to the farm. I know Angie will be a lot nicer to me if I bring her favorite Maroni."

Stephanie grinned, this time a familiar sparkle in her eyes. "I know. It's a wonder you guys were married for five years."

"When you're young, you fall in love and do stupid things like get married in Vegas and then realize you're not meant for each other."

"Sally, I know marriage is a scam."

He narrowed his eyes. "I never said it was a scam...though Angie got me real good with that divorce settlement."

Stephanie snorted into her salad bowl, remembering how Angelina Carmine swindled the hell out of her brother.

It was almost impressive.

"But then you reminisce and realize it might not have been so stupid because you get three little angels who test your patience every other weekend but still somehow look so damn cute."