Chapter 18: Now What?

Start from the beginning

"No... NO!" I screamed, angry tears pricking my eyes. I tried to break free, but I couldn't. Not only were my feet frozen, but it felt like I was held back by solid, invisible shackles.

So. I'm just a prisoner to meet my unalterable fate. How comforting.

"This is your destiny. This is your punishment for what you have done."

"Punishment for what?!" I hissed. Regardless, I needed to get out of here, and fast. I couldn't allow this to happen, not again! Becoming desperate, I called out into the void, praying someone might be there to hear me.

"N! Hugh! Anyone? Please help me!"

I hated this, hated screaming like a damsel in distress. I've always taken care of myself before, and I've always prided myself on that fact. But now, I didn't have a choice.

"They aren't here. No one will help you. No one wants to help you." More sinister laughter.

"YOU'RE LYING!" I screamed at him in hatred, even though his words struck me with a true sense of dread. Maybe he's right, after all. Why was no one coming to save me...?

I saw a flash of pale green hair, the flurl of a black robe.

"Kyurem, now."

Suddenly, a pair of yellow, glowing eyes appeared in front of me. The laughter grew louder. My frame was shaking uncontrollably from the bitter cold, and from my own vivid demons.

The crystals came crashing down.

"NO!!!"

* * *

I wake up screaming that one dreadful word, tears streaming down my face as I launch myself upwards in a panic. It probably isn't the smartest idea, since my body is still recovering from trauma, but I honestly don't care at the moment. Arms immediately envelope me in a hug; I have to admit I become disappointed when I realize they didn't belong to N. But Hugh is definitely next in line for people I would have preferred.

"Rosa! Hey, calm down, it's me. Everything is fine, okay? You're safe here..."

"NO! I'LL NEVER BE SAFE!" The words spit out of my mouth before I can stop them. They are pure products of my fear, and nothing more. Or are they? Is this my truth now? The thought throws me into tremors, my frame shaking against Hugh. I barely perceive Hilda giving me a look of concern.

God, how pathetic I've become.

"That's not true," he reprimands me firmly. "I know you just came out of a scary situation. But right here, right now, you're in one of the safest buildings in the world. And I'd be happy to murder anyone before they have a chance to get to you."

"Gee, thanks," I mutter, my head beginning to pulse again. "Where's N?" It's nice that Hugh is here for me, but I really just want N's comfort right now.

Hilda opens her mouth to answer, but then I hear a door slam open.

"Is everything all right in here?" I hear a voice demand. The guards, no doubt.

"She just had a nightmare. That's all. Nothing of concern." Hugh keeps his face as stoic as possible, his eyes clearly telling the guards to get lost.

"If you say so. Let us know if there's any problems." Footsteps fall away from me as the door closes again. Hilda turns to me, her face soft.

"N went in for questioning a while ago. You were out for quite some time, " she says softly, gesturing to the clock. "That was a nightmare you had?" Her voice is barely a whisper, the concern clearly visible in her eyes. While I'm still trying to calm down from that accursed dream, I can at least appreciate her worry over my wellbeing. She definitely cares about my state of mind, despite everything between us.