001. First Encounters

✧

Mia stands at the edge of a cliff alongside Jacob Black.

Both of them look down at the stormy waters and grand waves, calculating the distance of how long the drop would be. The crisp wind slaps their crimson cheeks and the mist of the brewing rain faintly drenches their clothing.

"So how far do you think it is?" Jacob questions with his arms folded across his chest as he takes a step closer to the edge. He's seen Sam and a few of his followers jump from here and it always leaves a bitter taste on his tongue. Their constant need to prove themselves better than others, only makes his dislike grow by the second.

The sound of the waves crashing against the rocks melts into an odd tranquility, soon followed by the rustling leaves of the nearby evergreens. The skies start turning a darker color, a clear warning of the imminent storm approaching.

"I'm guessing about 20 feet?" Mia stands with her hands on her hips, her brows furrowing into a concentrated crease as she tilts her head in observation. "You should jump and figure it out."

A smirk appears on his face as he peers through his shoulder at her, "How about you jump? Or are you too much of a coward?"

Mia scoffs, offended at his blatant teasing that causes her to harshly shove him back. Now looking over the cliff, she starts reconsidering if jumping before school would be a bright idea. Considering it's her first day, arriving in drenched clothes would bring more attention to herself, and it's not like she can drive back home to change or use her magic. It would only make her more late and she can't ask Jacob to lend her some clothes since he's very particular on who can borrow them.

"What will you give me if I jump?"

He stares off into the distance thoughtfully as he tries coming up with some kind of reward. It would be fun watching her jump and then not give her anything. He knows how much it would infuriate her and he'd love to be a witness to the small girl's temper. "Twenty bucks?"

"Make it thirty," holding her hand out to seal the deal, she wiggles her eyebrows and smiles at him all teasingly. He turns the other way knowing he won't be able to say no to her if she keeps it up. "Come on, wolfie. Thirty or nothing."

Jacob rolls his eyes at her nickname. He has yet to understand why she calls him that. The only thing he knows is that it started once she learned the legends behind the reservation, and she's been calling him 'wolfie' ever since.

"If I say yes, will you stop calling me that?" Jacob questions, arching a brow at her as he extends his hand in her direction to seal the deal.

Mia gazes up at the sky to make him believe she's considering it. Her hand is placed under her chin in a pensive state and her foot starts to gradually tap against the pebbled ground. That's when she finally says, "Yeah, that's a no."