chapter 5 : Beomgyu's jokes

Beomgyu and Taehyun were sitting at the table playing chess. It looked like Taehyun was winning so Beomgyu tried to distract him.
"How are you even doing today?"
"Oh, I'm doing great, thanks for asking. You?"
"Very good. You're good at chess."
"I know. I used to play it all the time."
"That's cool."
"Yes, it is. It looks like you're losing so far."
"That's just how you see it but we both know I'm the winner."
"You don't like losing, do you?"
"And who does?"
"It's just a game, you shouldn't be worried about losing."
"I'm gonna win anyways."
"Checkmate!"
Beomgyu looked down confusely and noticed Taehyun has won even though he was trying to distract him. Looks like he ended up distracting himself.
"Oh... "
"Good game though."
Beomgyu raised his head and looked at Taehyun with a small smile.
"Yes, it was. Anyway, our free time begins now. Enjoy."
He got up and tuckled in the chair. He smiled at Taehyun again and turned around.
"Wait! What are you going to do?"
"I don't know... probably the garden as always."
"... Can I join?"
Beomgyu looked surprised but he nodded. Taehyun excitedly run to him and they left together.
They went to the garden looking around. Beomgyu couldn't take his eyes off of the green house because he still didn't have the chance to go inside. Taehyun looked at him and at the direction he was looking at.
"Do you want to go there?"
Beomgyu looked at him and nodded.
"Okay, follow me."

Taehyun opened the door of the huge green house and Beomgyu's eyes were glowing

Taehyun opened the door of the huge green house and Beomgyu's eyes were glowing. All the beautiful flowers and plants.
"Oh my god. I want this at home. I'd sleep in there."
Taehyun laughed and looked around.
"We don't come here often."
"Didn't you say your mom loves flowers?"
"Yes, I did."
"Hmmm... I will look around in case there's some flower that's new to me."
"Sure, go ahead."
Beomgyu minded his own business and Taehyun got a bit sentimental when he spotted a table and three chairs. His parents and him used to spent a lot of time in here when he was little but all that is gone now.
He sat on his old chair and sighed. He wished his parents showed him more affection and love just like when he was small.
"You found anything?" he asked.
"It seems like I know everything you have here."
"Must be boring."
"Kind of but it's still pretty."
Beomgyu walked to Taehyun and looked at the chairs.
"You spent some time here before, I suppose."
"Yes... "
Beomgyu sat down next to him.
"You look... sad."
"No, I'm not. It's just that... I miss the old times when parents showed me that they really cared."
"Your parents still seem to care more about you then mine care about me. We never hanged out like this, even when I was little. I always did everything on my own, sometimes with my friends when they were around but mostly with my cousin."
"That's so sad. I'm sorry."
"It's okay. My life was never that bad besides them forcing me into acting like a 'perfect descendant of our amazing family line'. When they started pushing me into those things that's when I began with all the jokes and stuff."
"What was your first joke ever?"
"Damn... I don't know. Probably putting a bird shit on a chair of one of our servants."
Taehyun didn't know what to do besides laughing.
"Well, at least you didn't do anything to your parents before. You were respectful after all."
"Yeah, because I knew they'd kick my ass but after some time I stopped caring."
"Tell me, Beomgyu, what other things did you do at home? All your jokes and misbehaving. It's interesting."
When Beomgyu heard this he got flashbacks of all the things he did. From walking on a table prepared for the dinner of their guests while kicking the dishes off the table to bringing a deer to their castle to painting on their walls.
"Uh... you're sure you want to know?"
"I wouldn't be asking you if I didn't."
"Alright... "
Beomgyu told him about all the crazy stuff and Taehyun's mouth was wide opened.
"You're crazy."
"Some call it crazy, I call it free."
"I wish I could live your life."
"You can."
"No, I can't. They'd kill me."
"Now you're overdoing."
"If not killing me then they'd send me to some reform school."
"Cool, we could go together. My parents threated me with that all the time."
"Well, being there with you wouldn't probably be that bad."
"It'd be fun."
"Did you also have some lessons at home? You said you already had books on your head and it didn't go well."
"I used to have all the lessons I have here at home but it is just so boring that I tried to make it a terrible experience for the teachers."
"Hmm... learning languages isn't boring though, it's a good thing."
"I know, I learnt them by myself it's way better."
"That's why you're so good at it... and what did you do?"
"With the books? I threw them at the teacher. I feel bad now though, poor books."
Taehyun laughed again.
"You're funny."
"I know. Thank you for appreciating me, finally someone."
"I'm always here for you."
"Thanks."
They remained silent for some time when Beomgyu's leg started shaking. He was dope sick because he hasn't done anything in a long time.
"Taehyun?"
"Yes?"
"What if we... do something."
"Huh? What do you mean?"
"You can guess."
"No way. I don't want to get in trouble."
"We'd get in trouble together. It will be fun, come on!"
Taehyun looked away and thought about it.
"What kind of joke would that be?"
Beomgyu smirked.
"I don't know. We could put a pin on somebody's chair."
"That sounds so mean and painful. But I kind of like that."
"Are you in?"
Taehyun hesitated for a while but then he agreed.
"Yes, let's do this."
Beomgyu smiled widely and his eyes sparkeled with excitement.
"Luckily I always bring everything with me. That means I have a pin. Although this joke is very lame..."
"You call this lame? It will hurt their butt."
Beomgyu looked around and noticed a chimney, that means they must have a fireplace.
"What if we block the chimney? Don't worry your castle won't burn but it will fill it with smoke."
"... Are you forgotting that we're going to sleep in there tonight?"
"Don't worry, it will be okay."
"Hmmm... fine. But how are we going to do it?"
"We have to climb up and cover the hole."
"CLIMB UP?"
"Yeah? We can't do it from inside, they'd notice it."
"You're not crazy, you're insane."
"Do you mind insane?"
"When it comes to you, not really. Let's go."
Beomgyu found something to cover it up with and he climbed on the roof with Taehyun.
"We're so dead."
"It'll be fun."
Beomgyu covered the hole and looked at Taehyun.
"They're gonna be so confused, I'm excited."
"You're pure evil."
"Everyone's got a bit of evil in them."
"That's probably true..."
"Let's go back."
"All the way down?"
"We can go through the window."
"Right. Just hold my hand please, I don't want to fall."
"Don't worry."
They sneaked inside and walked to the dining room. All the servants present in the room looked at the boys which were already sitting down.
"Dinner's in an hour, what are you doing here princes?"
"We're very hungry." said Taehyun.
"Oh... well, I'm sorry prince but you have to wait, the food's not ready yet."
"It's okay, we'll wait."
The servant looked at them confusely but he kept doing his thing. Boys remained silent and quietly watched the servants. After few minutes of waiting they finally started putting wood inside of the fire place.
Taehyun and Beomgyu looked at each other with funny faces. When they saw the man finally trying to make the fire they wanted to leave.
"Hmm, please call us when the dinner's ready."
"We always call you, prince."
They left the dining room but hid behind the door. After some time they smelled something and heard people swearing and coughing. They rushed out of the door and the princes saw all the smoke.
"It worked!"
"Yes and did you hear the slurs?!"
"I did, never happened before in here."
"We should put the cover away before they find out."
"We're going up again?" Taehyun asked worriedly.
"I'll do it, you go out so you don't suffocate with all the smoke."
Taehyun nodded and they both got on their ways. Taehyun ran to the terrace and Beomgyu climbed up the roof to uncover the hole. When he was done he slided down on the roof and jumped down carefully.
He could see everyone gathering outside while coughing and swearing and being confused. He felt really amused.
"What is going on?!" said the king.
"I don't know, your majesty. We were simply starting the fire like everyday. I have no idea what went wrong."
The king looked at the two princes but he knew Taehyun would never do something like this, so he turned to Beomgyu.
"Beomgyu, do you know something about this?"
"No, sir. Me and Taehyun were waiting for the food and when we got bored we left the dining room and few minutes after that we smelled the smoke and heard people coughing."
"Is that so, Taehyun?" he knew Taehyun would never lie to them.
"It is, father. We were on the terrace the whole time."
"Okay then... go check the chimney, this didn't happen by itself, that's not possible."
The servant nodded and king followed him, meanwhile the queen looked at the princes worriedly.
"Are you okay, boys?"
"Yes, mother."
"Alright... but unfortunately we can not eat inside today, there's unbreathable."
"That's okay, eating outside is no problem."
"Right, you're used to it..."
They arranged the table outside and brought all the food while ventilating the whole castle.
"Where is Beomgyu?" asked Taehyun.
His mother pointed up.
"In his natural habitat."
He was sitting on the balcony railing with his plate of food.
The queen turned behind and Taehyun was gone.
"Huh? Where did he go?" asked the queen and saw Taehyun on the balcony with Beomgyu.
"Hey."
"Wow, you said hey."
"Uh... yes? I don't want you to eat alone."
"That's nice. Thanks."
"Plus we have a nice view."
"Kang Taehyun! Come here! Now! You should eat at the table like a human being not a monkey!"
"So you think I'm a monkey?" asked Beomgyu.
"Oh... uh... I never said that."
"So it's okay for Taehyun to once eat here with me, right?"
Taehyun's mom looked at the king and they both sighed.
"For once!"
"Thank you, mom."
Taehyun smiled at Beomgyu and started eating.
"So how was it? Did you have fun?"
"It was funny and cool, I did have fun, yes! Thank you."
"No problem. This is just the beginning."
"What?"
"We're going to have more fun, it wasn't the end."
"I'm not sure if we should."
"As long as we don't get caught."
"True... okay let's do it more often."
"That's the spirit."
They both smiled at each other and turned their heads to watch the beautiful sunset.