"It's time to take your place, Damien," he tells me in a low voice.

I blink slowly. "What do you mean?"

"I want you in on this."

"I'm right here," I all but growl.

"I mean all in," Ivan snaps. "If this alliance goes through, I need you closer to my side than ever. I need your involvement."

"I'm involved. I am always involved."

"You know exactly what I mean. Don't play dumb."

I look off into the distance as the cars go by. The last few years have gone so fast. I knew Ivan was taking it easy on me, letting me adjust to life not only outside of the Russian prison cell, but also life in the States. He was right though. I made him a promise when he became Pakhan. Raul was all muscle. Useless with this shit.

I wasn't all that much better. I was by no means a mastermind like Sofia. I was always the impulsive one. But Ivan needed me.

It wasn't emotion or guilt that drove me, it was duty. Loyalty.

My brother. Now and always.

I take a final drag of my cigarette and turn back to my brother, "What can I do?"

"You'll be the liaison with the Donnellys. Once this goes through. There will be no getting close with the Marinos. We just have to accept that. I want us to all feel like more than allies. The Donnellys are a strong unit. We need to make sure we remain close to them like the Marinos are."

I narrow my eyes, trying to analyze what he means.

"What makes you think I have good interpersonal skills?" I ask.

Ivan gives me a look, "The Donnellys are...similar to you."

"You trying to say they're crazy like me?" I laugh.

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

I think about Nessa's bloody sneakers for some reason.

Ivan claps my shoulder, "I trust you. My brother."

"Now and always," I nod.

Something has been decidedly settled. After hours at Phantom, Sofia and Ivan agree that telling Matteo about the Vitali rat (at least one of them) will be enough to placate him for now, and get this alliance started off on the right foot. I have no feelings one way or the other. I don't particularly like exchanging this kind of secret with the Outfit, but I also trust my brother and sister-in-law's decisions.

I'm about to sneak out and head back to The Black Bear when I feel someone's presence next to me. Sucking in a breath, I turn and see Tristan Donnelly standing there. He and I have talked a few times here and there. We run in similar circles with the fighting rings. He's talented in the ring. I wouldn't want to be on the other side of his fists.

"Yenin," he greets me, holding out his hand.

I shake it despite myself. "Donnelly."

"You trying to sneak off?" he smirks knowingly.

"Always," I smirk back.

"Stay. Have a drink with us."