14

We climbed down safely and went back to our resort. After trekking for 2 days straight, we both needed some rest to function properly. We had another day, but my mind wasn't in the right place to plan it.

Rajat unlocked the door and we dropped our backpacks on the floor. 'I'm so tired. Ugh!' I groaned and threw my body on the bed. A few seconds later, I found Rajat beside me in the same way. 'I know. Me too.' He said and exhaled. 'But I had the best weekend possible. Thanks to my lady!' He reached for my hand and held it firmly.

I tilted my head to get a look at his smiling face. 'Okay, but you need to stop saying thank you, or I am not gonna surprise you ever again,' I chirped, pouting. 'Yeah. All right!' he chuckled.

After some time, everything fell silent. Except for our breathing sounds, nothing else was audible.

My phone woke me up, and I sat up right away. Cursing under my breath while holding my head, which was hurting from sitting up so fast. I reached for my phone and found Aanchal calling. Rajat had fallen asleep, so I went to the attached balcony of our room to talk to her.

She spent the first 10 minutes asking me about the trek, and the next 15 minutes telling me about the new projects she got. I congratulated her and hung up promising to bring souvenirs for her.

I went inside and saw Rajat sleeping in the same position he was in before I left. He was sleeping so peacefully; I didn't want to wake him up. So, I decided to shower before waking him up for dinner, which would give him extra minutes to complete his nap.

After a long soul-calming bath, I put on my joggers and an oversized T-shirt and came out finding Rajat sitting on the bed with his phone in his hand. 'You're awake. What should we do for dinner?' I asked while trying to dry my hair. He looked up and gave me the smallest smile I have seen on his face, but didn't say anything.

I waited a few seconds in the hope to get an answer, but instead, he scrutinized me, top to bottom. 'We can order room service, or do you wanna go out? Whatever you decide.' He didn't speak. Confused, I looked down to check if I got something on my clothes. But I couldn't find anything. When I looked back up at him, I saw his eyes doing the same thing they did on the morning of our trip here.

I frowned and dropped my towel on the bed. 'Hello?' I snapped my fingers. 'What is it?' He jerked back his head to meet my eyes. 'Nothing.' 'No. It is something. Two days back you were ogling me this very same way that you're doing now when I came out of the shower. Tell me.' He opened his mouth to say something, but then his lips formed a thin line.

'You know I am not letting this go until you tell me. So just do it, will you?' Silence. I shot him the coldest look I could pull off at that moment, and said, 'Never mind. I forgot how stubborn you are.' I turned to face the mirror.

'Can I move in with you?', he asked, and my hands, heart, brain, everything stopped working all at once. What did he just say? I stared at him in the mirror, before turning to face him.

I wanted to ask him what he just said. I wanted to ask him if he was serious. I wanted to ask him if he meant what he just let go of his mouth so casually. But I was having a hard time forming a proper sentence. A few seconds later he spoke again. 'I mean, you could move in with me too. But your place is nicer. My place is kinda... sad.'

'What? I mean... why?' My brain finally worked. 'Why?! Um—' But before he could complete, I realized what I said. 'I mean, not why. But... how? What made you think of that all of a sudden?'

He took a few seconds before speaking. 'Everything. Especially the last two days.' His eyes met mine. 'These last two days, were the happiest days I've had in a while. And above all, I didn't miss you these two days... at all.'

Okay! that's confusing. 'What do you mean? I was right there with you, isn't it obvious for you to not miss me?'

'Nah.' He shook his head, not meeting my eyes. 'It's not that obvious.' His hand reached behind his head, while his shoulders tensed. 'Back in Delhi, it's like... when I am not with you, I miss you, okay? But whenever I see you, I start to miss you because I know, I would have to say bye to you soon. And then I am gonna miss you again. And the cycle keeps going on.' He took a breath.

'But these last two days, I didn't miss you, because I had you. Like you said, just right there with me.' His eyes found mine. 'I didn't have to wave goodbye and wait for the next day to see you.'

Shit! I was having a hard time keeping my face neutral when all I wanted to do was scream and laugh. 'Why didn't you tell me anything before?', I managed to ask.

'I wanted to. Trust me I did. But I didn't want to put any kind of extra pressure on you. I have no problem with taking things slow, but I am—', he trailed off. Hesitation flickering all over his face. 'I guess I don't want to do that anymore. Obviously, if you are up for it too.'

He said, not looking at me for once. By that point, I had started grinning like a maniac. He must have sensed me smiling because his lips started inching higher, and his shoulders relaxed. 'Look, it's just, I hate saying bye to you. I know we have our jobs and we can't always be together, everywhere. But after a long tiring day, I am just... I just wanna come home to you.' His emphasis on the word 'you' broke every restraint I had regarding this rash decision.

'I would love to come home to you too,' I tried to say nonchalantly, but that only made him grin wider.

He crawled to the other side of the bed and stood on his knees matching my height. I watched him, giggling, while he grabbed both of my hands. Confused, I looked back and forth at our hands and then back at him.

He had put on the prettiest smile I had ever seen on his face. Smile, which displayed passion and love. Smile, that actually said how happy he was about this whole thing.

'Nitya Arora...' he said, and my heart skipped at his firm, desperate voice. My grin immediately vanished, and my eyes widened. What is he doing? Why did he take my full name? Technically, he is on his knees. Yeah, you focus on that Nitya. Oh my God! Is he— '...will you be my roommate?'

I closed my eyes and let out the breath I was holding, finding the strength to smile again. Seeing me, he asked, 'What did you think?' He asked, lowering his head to get my full-face view.

'Nothing. I was thinking absolutely nothing.' I shook my head.

'I know exactly what you thought. We've got time for that baby.' He said grinning, while embarrassment enveloped me. I rolled my eyes at him which only made him laugh. 'So... do you—' 'Yes! Yes please,' I said, nodding and smiling before he could ask me again.

He leaned in and kissed me, making the butterflies in my stomach come out of their cage. He was one of the gentlest kissers I have ever seen. But then again, what do I know? We broke apart, and I smiled before I could open my eyes.

I went to wrap my arms around but I must have forgotten where I was standing, because before I could do anything I tripped and we fell on the bed. Our bodies, overlapping. Mine over Rajat. Giggles filled the room, while I rested my chin on his chest.

He tucked my wet hair lock behind my ear while staring into my soul like the way I was looking at him. Our eyes filled with nothing but love. I knew I loved him, but I think at that moment, I realized just how much, I loved him.

'You wanna know why I actually want to move in with you?'

'Why?'

'I don't want to, ever, miss watching you walk out of that shower, with your hair wet, looking like that.'

Heat rushed to my cheeks.

'I guess you are sitting at home then if you wish to catch me every time I walk out like this,' I said, trying my best to not melt away. 'For you, I would.' His eyes dilated.

I had nothing to say after that, so I just smiled and rested my head on his chest. I found his heart beating just as fast as it was in mine. My head felt light and dizzy, which helped me move upwards, and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek, before returning to my initial position. 'I love you, Rajat.' I said, as gently as I could. 'I love you too Nitya.'