The trio all stared at each other for a moment. Leon didn't take his eyes off of Jason as he leaned back, his hands resting on his spread legs as he scoffed, "Treason. Fun. I'll be sure to put that in my report."

     Rae sighed, leaning forward and placing her elbows on her knees which were also spread just like Leon's. She stared Jason down as his hand reached down to the table slowly.

     His hand opened and Rae half expected him to grab the pistol resting by it and shoot them, however he simply picked his cigarette back up. Jason scoffed and put his cigarette out on a different cancer stick sitting in the pile.

     "It won't do you any good." Jason said pessimistically, "They'll just cover it up, like they always do. And you know how good they are at covering things up."

     Rae's eyes narrowed slightly as she took the information in. She sent a glance to Leon out of her peripherals, but he was still starring Jason down, but his eyes looked colder. Leon must have told him of Raccoon City.

     "They're the bad guys here." Jason finished.

     Leon didn't wait a second to ask, "Where's your proof?"

     "That's what we're here for." Jason answered, and Rae was just happy it wasn't classified. "And you two are going to help us get it."

     "Is that so?" Rae piped.

     "You want our help?" Leon added incredulously, "You just killed a sub full of people."

     Jason took in a small breath before he inquired, "Remember when I told you about terror?" Jason was still staring intensely at Leon, so she figured that was what they had been speaking of when she walked in the day before, "It starts with fear. You cultivate it, and you watch it spread, and then...then you've got terror."

     Leon scoffed as Jason leaned forward. Leon did the same, saying, "You can tell them all about it at your court-martial."

     "So you're not gonna help us, then?" Jason blinked.

     Jason slowly began to straighten his posture. Rae felt Leon shake his head, "Nope."

     Jason took a moment to process the man's answer. His expression changing multiple times before he sniffed, then hummed. Rae felt Leon push her down, landing on the floor. She groaned and looked up, finding the men jumping into action.

     Fast as a cheetah both men reached forward and grabbed their guns pointing it at the other and pulling the trigger. Jason flew back as Rae grasped her gun off the table, hiding behind the couch as Shen May came from around a corner and shot at them.

     Rae and Leon fired at Shen May, one of them hitting the ceiling above her. Shen May took the chance to run towards the door, and sprint away.

     Rae and Leon perused, Leon jumping over the couch smoothly while Rae caught the door, letting him run through before following. They rushed to the stairs, finding Shen May's figure sprinting down them, however she was already on the lowest floor and leaving their view, so they couldn't shoot at her.

     "Dammit." Leon cursed as they looked over the railing at her disappearance.

     "Hey, butthead," Rae slapped his arm. Leon made a dramatic 'ow' noise and looked at her, "you could have warned me before you shoved me in the floor."

     "I wasn't sure if he would shoot you." Leon says, his eyes genuine to show that he was genuinely concerned for her well-being.

     "I'm an agent too, I signed up for this." Rae reminded while she reached up and rubbed her neck as though it hurt.

     Leon's eyebrows furrowed as he got closer, raising a hand to try and touch the skin, "Does it hurt?" He sounded guilty as hell, exactly the reaction she wanted.

     "No, I'm just playing with you." Rae grinned before she walked around him, making her way down the stairs, "Come on, we've got an agent to follow."

     Leon watched her move down a flight before he shook his head and followed after her. He caught up, sending her a grin, one she sent back.

     "You know," Leon felt strangely sentimental, so he took the time to express it, "I think you're my favorite partner I've ever had."

     "You think?" Rae gave him a side eye as they made it out of the lobby.

     "N-No, I know."

     "You sure?" Rae raised an eyebrow, not looking at him as they made it to the street. In the distance was Shen May's figure. She began to tail it, Leon following closely behind.

     "Would I ask you to marry me if I wasn't?"

     "Are you trying to marry all of your business partners?" Rae twisted his words, and when he went to object she said, "Besides, you never even asked me to marry you."

     "Well...If I did," Leon swallowed, "what would you say?"

     Rae turned to him, her eyes scanning his body as though reaffirming how attractive he was would help her make her decision. She met his eyes and blinked, "We'll figure that out if you ask."

Leon watched as she continued to follow Shen May, "Would...you recommend I ask?"

     "I would recommend that we finish this mission before figuring anything out." Rae said.

     "For someone who complains about work a lot, you seem to like using it as an excuse." Leon pointed out with an amused tone.

     "Don't patronize me Kennedy."

     "I would never Silivan."

     "...Bullshit."

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

AUTHORS NOTE !

Their bickering is so fun
to write

Posted: May 28, 2023
Words: 1329
Edited: ✘︎