Chapter Three

☼☼☼

I wish I could fly

I'd pick you up and we'd go back in time

I'd write this in the sky

I miss you like it was the very first night

☼☼☼

Jaime's P.O.V.

May 30th 1997

Just as Monica promised, Jess and I were clocked out at 7:30, and started heading to my house. We both got into my car since the party was on my street and I knew she would be sleeping over anyway. We call the guest bedroom in my house her room because she stays over so often. She kept extra clothes, pajamas, and toiletries in the closet. She even got two spare work shirts from Monica so she could keep them at my place in case of emergencies. I know I'll be driving us to work in the morning. Besides, even if she found some girl to hook up with, Jess doesn't do overnighters. I love that girl so much. She's the older sibling I always deserved.

Jess already had an outfit planned out, and kept it in her car for after work. She wore a pair of light wash jeans. They were a little loose around the hips, making them hang kinda low on her, but I knew that was exactly what she wanted. They were probably supposed to be men's jeans, but Jessica J has never been one to care about fashion rules. She had a black crop top that was super short, but loose fitting. It was probably an old work out shirt that she cut the stomach and sleeves off herself. She also had on a choker that looked like there were chains around her throat and a dangly cross earring looped into her right ear. She ran her fingers through her bleach blonde hair, still wet from the shower she took when we got back. Damn my best friend was hot. I wish I could be as effortless as her.

I let Jess completely destroy my closet to put an outfit together for me. I did this partly because I had no idea what to wear, but also because I knew Jess loved to pick my clothes for these parties. This was a rare occasion, and I knew she would take full advantage of it. She pulled out a tight white tee shirt that I had been meaning to throw away since I had shrunk it, and a pair of mom jeans. I looked comfortable, but still really good. I actually loved the way this shirt looked on me. It complimented my long torso, some that was hard to do when I felt too tall for all the latest fashion trends, not that I kept up with those in the first place. She pulled an old yellow and olive green plaid flannel out of my closet tying it around my waist. She pulled half my hair up giving it a lot of bounce and volume, telling me that she wanted my hair to be on full display while also pulling attention towards my eyes. Considering I roll my eyes like a sport, I'm surprise she isn't attempting the opposite effect. I can control my tongue, though sometimes I find myself literally biting it to stop myself from talking, but I have absolutely no control on my facial expressions.

I wasn't wearing any jewelry except for my dad's old ring that I keep on my thumb at all times. It means so much to me, and I would feel so naked if I took it off. I didn't have a lot left of my father, but this ring, and the slightly burnt picture that sat on my kitchen windowsill means everything to me. And the fact that the ring that was currently wrapped around my finger, was also in the picture meant even more. It was my last connection to him. To that time. I even got it resized so it would fit my finger.

I felt pretty confident, thanks to Jess, which was totally her intention. If she got me to feel good about myself, I would have one less excuse to leave. She was making me comfortable because no matter what tonight was going to make me super anxious. And that meant more to me than she would ever realize.