Karen nodded her head knowingly. Young love.

Both of them bid goodbyes and Karen left as Mahaya dialled Yashraj.

"Where are you?" She asked him, not bothering with the greetings.

"Just pulling outside the restaurant." He sang and Mahaya hung up.

The two of them were going to out for dinner after hanging out at the Marine Drive.

Mahaya stepped out of the restaurant, searching for her boyfriend when she spotted him, talking to Karen.

As Mahaya approached them, she noticed Yashraj's enraged face and she heard Karen saying something 'Please.' Again and again.

"Hello guys." Mahaya interrupted. Karen stepped back cautiously and composed herself.

"Everything okay?" Mahaya asked Yashraj and Karen.

Karen didn't reply while Yashraj nodded.

He turned around, waiting for Mahaya to follow but she looked at Karen.

"Yashraj, please." Karen pleaded, his name rolling off her tongue in her accent.

"You know her?" Mahaya asked, shocked.

Yashraj sighed, turning around.

"She was my girlfriend. Back in the States." Yashraj confessed.

"Just a girlfriend?" Karen asked, looking hurt, the grief and pain evident on her face.

"You didn't deserve it." Yashraj hissed at her, his eyes were flaming with anger, his fists clenched to his sides as if that kept him in control.

Karen in took a sharp breath.

She nodded at Mahaya and then left without saying another word.

"What just happened?" Mahaya asked but Yashraj just grunted.

"My past and future just collided."

-₹₹₹--

The car ride home was silent. Mahaya tried talking to him but then Yashraj would turn on the radio.

Once they got on the elevator, Mahaya pressed the sixth floor button.

She looked at Yashraj who was looking in the front, maintains an unreadable expression.

Mahaya was good at reading people. Their tiniest change in expressions gave her all she needed to know but when Yashraj Rathore blanked his feelings, even Mahaya couldn't get past it.

"Who is Karen?" She asked, once they stepped into his apartment.

"My ex." Yashraj answered cooly as he slumped into the couch.

"Tough breakup?" She asked, a lock of hair covering her face. Mahaya tucked it behind her ear.

Yashraj took a deep breath.

"She left me to go to New York." He said and Mahaya looked at him.

"Oh." Was all she could say.

He looked like he needed water.

Mahaya got up and took out a water bottle from the refrigerator.

"After I proposed to her." He dropped the bomb.

Mahaya stilled.

She turned around on her heels.

"You what?"

Mahaya couldn't even say the E word and here her boyfriend was E-N-G-A-G-E-D.

Yashraj got up slowly, cautiously.

He approached her with his hands raised in mid-air.

"It was more than a year ago." He said.

Mahaya nodded.

"Yeah. No, that's fine. I just-" Mahaya took a deep audible breath and let it out.

"I just didn't see this coming." Mahaya admitted.

She needs the water now. She gulped down huge sips of it. The water surged through her throat, cooking her body but not her mind.

She sat down on the couch.

"I know but it was more than a year ago and I'm completely over her. I have been since before I met you. And meeting you, it has been breath of fresh air Mahi." Yashraj said, looking straight into her eyes.

Mahaya's heart melt but only inch by inch.

"Yeah okay." Was all she could say.

"Why didn't you try long distance?" She asked.

Yashraj scowled.

"She broke up via voicemail. Kind of the last straw." He answered and Mahaya nodded, not knowing what to say.

Then the thought entered her mind.

"Wait a minute. So when she said she came to Mumbai searching for someone she meant you ?!" Mahaya shot straight up.

She started pacing the floor.

"What?" Yashraj asked in confusion.

Mahaya kept walking to and fro.

"And now your ex-fiancée gets to decide if your current girlfriend gets her dream job in New York?" She asked rhetorically.

"Yes." Yashraj nodded hesitantly.

"Wow. Your current girlfriend is screwed." Mahaya cursed.

Yashraj stood up and held her hands, keeping her in one place.

"Mahaya, if that's what you're worried about, don't be. Karen doesn't mix up personal life with professional one. She wants the best for her career." He assured her. "In fact, that's what separated us." He then added bitterly.

Mahaya nodded, sitting down on the couch.

"Kay then." She finally said.

"So, you're okay with it?" He asked nervously.

Mahaya nodded.

"Yeah, I mean sure it'll be awkward between us but if she's willing to work professionally, then sure, I'll be fine with it." Mahaya said and meant it.

Yashraj hugged her tightly before kissing her slowly and softly.

"Thank you."

Yashraj did not expect Mahaya to handle it so well but she did. And he couldn't have found a more same, reasonable, practical yet beautifully smart girlfriend.

Both of them sat in peaceful silence. Until Yashraj jinxed it.

"So what about you and Abhishek?"

________________________________

Hey! I know I've been away for more than a month but I'm back now. And I'll be updating the second part of this chapter tomorrow!

Also, my best friend's 18 birthday is coming up and she expects it to be mind-blowing, obviously. So could any of you give some ideas?

Post it in the comments, thanks!

Also, don't forget to vote, comment and share!

Laters!