49. glitch

The next day, we're still together in my apartment. Apart from leaving for quick coffee runs and getting mail, we've remained in this small space that I call my home. She's joined me for movie marathons, and our own cooking classes. We've barely gotten back together, but we're already discussing the future. 

She turns on my laptop, ready to start up another show on Netflix. I receive a text from Sanna asking why I've been off the grid, and I respond to her, "thanks for finding Delilah."

I expect that to silence her for a bit, but instead, my phone starts exploding with notifications and Delilah just questioningly glances over at me from her spot on the couch. 

"I told Sanna. About you."

A smile slowly appears on her face, and she says, "she clearly has a lot of thoughts about it."

I open my phone, and slide through the multiple texts from her. Some point out that she's just changed my life and she deserves apologies from me forever. Others are silly emojis, some poke fun at us. 

Before I can respond, I receive more texts, but this time from my parents. And that reminds me that I need to be honest about Delilah. 

"More thoughts?" Delilah laughs as she hears the sounds come in. 

"I'm going to tell my parents about us."

She remains silent for a second, and then jokes, "we've been together for less than a week."

"And I'm sure about where this is going."

"Are we being impulsive?" Delilah asks me, and she seems genuinely concerned.

"Yes, but I don't care."

I call my mom, and she answers in a second, my dad by her side. Before she can even say hello, I turn my phone's camera over to where Delilah is sitting and say, "I'm dating Delilah."

"Priscilla, her parents- what did I say?" My mom asks me.

Delilah speaks up, and says, "my parents aren't a threat anymore. They're not involved in my life anymore."

That comforts my parents, I can tell. My mom chooses to whisper this time, as if my girlfriend can no longer hear her, and asks me, "are you sure about Delilah?"

I look over at Delilah, and then I turn to the screen to tell my parents, "I've never been more sure of anything in my entire life."

"Then we're happy for you," my dad tells me. 

"You deserve the best, Priscilla, and if you think she's the best for you, then I'm happy for you."

"Thank you, I just wanted to tell you that. Can I call you guys back later?"

They both wave bye, and I hang up after blowing a kiss and waving back. 

"I think that went well," I tell Delilah as I turn my attention back to Sanna's texts. 

"Do you have any wine? We should open up something to drink."

I hadn't mentioned how I feel about that kind of her stuff to her before. I tell her, "I don't drink."

She seems surprised by that, but doesn't question it at all, and then says, "then we can celebrate another way. I want to kiss you."

I put my phone away, and head over to sit next to her on the couch. I let her kiss me, and soon, we've forgotten about that show we were just about to watch. I never predicted that I would be back with the girl I became friends with as a kid. I didn't think we would ever even find our way back to each other after the last time we left each other. It could be some kind of glitch, or this could be how things were always meant to be. 

We were supposed to face all of that in order to end up where we are now. It just shows that we can survive almost anything. It may take some time to figure everything out, but we'll always return. 

I just hope that, if it happens again, it doesn't take years to figure it all out. I don't want to be separated from Delilah again, I can't handle that. 

Losing her the first time was devastating, losing her the second time was heartbreaking, and losing her a third time would break me. 

I can't do it again, I won't risk it. We're meant to be, and we can't fall back to where we were. We've always managed to jump over the lines of being together and breaking up so quickly. 

It can't happen again, and as I look up at Delilah, I realize that it doesn't have to.

It's not something that's inevitable, it'll only happen if we act like how we used to. We're not those people anymore though, and I don't think we'll ever let go of each other so easily. 

I know I won't. 

Now's the time to be impulsive, it's the best moment to make sure we don't lose each other again. I tell Delilah if we can take a quick break, and she instantly pulls back from me.

"Is something wrong?" She asks me.

She's so sweet, she has no idea what trick I'm about to come out with. She'll see how absolutely in love with her I am, she'll understand where this is coming from. 

"Will you marry me?"

I'm not sure if my words may be from a glitch or fate, but I'm certain that this is what I need. 

The next chapter is the last chapter!