Chapter 10: Erdtree & Great Grandfather

Start from the beginning

"Dimension? What's a dimension?" Asked Elif in curiosity

"It's a little hard to explain it to you properly right now with you having a low cultivation base, and besides, information on dimension isn't something you need to worry about right now anyways." Answered Marcus while walking towards the giant double doors installed within the Erdtree's base.

While I was still gawking at the Erdtree and wondering what a dimension was, I noticed everyone walking towards the Erdtree's base, prompting me to run after them while yelling.

"Hey, wait for me!" Yelled Elif while chasing after his family.

Once I caught up to them, we walked for several minutes till we were finally standing only a few meters in front of the giant double doors, which actually looked tiny compared to the Erdtree. We stood in front of the doors for a while, not doing anything, and I eventually got impatient and wanted to ask if we were going in or not, but something interesting happened mid-question.

"Hey, are we going in or n-"

I stopped talking as I saw space in front of me let out a ripple, similar to when you throw a rock in water, before seeing an old Elf come walking out of the ripple with his hands behind his back, and one thing that instantly caught my attention other than the way he appeared, was the star symbol on his forehead that all Royal Elves have.

"Well, well, it's been a while since I've last seen you two children; you've gotten bored of me or what?" Said the old male Elf.

"We've had things to do, father, beside Elif was born four years ago, so we've been with him." Answered Tyler, trying to come up with an excuse.

"You say that, but I believe the last time you two visited your father was over ten-thousand years ago." Questioned the old male Elf while raising an eyebrow.

'If the Royal Elf in front of me just stated himself as grandfather's father, then doesn't that mean he's my great grandfather!?' Thought Elil while inspecting the old male Elf, who smiled and looked at him.

"Yes, Elif, I'm your grandparent's father, which means I'm your great-grandfather; the name is Charles, by the way." Stated Charles, smiling even wider when he saw Elif's reaction to his statement.

'How did he know I was thinking that? Can he read my mind?' thought Elif.

"Haha, no child, I did not read your mind." Said Charles chuckling.

"Does that mean you can read my mind?" Asked Elif while looking at Charles suspiciously.

"Well, if I wanted to read someone's thoughts and they haven't even started cultivating, then yes, I could indeed read your mind and quite easily at that. But I don't see any reason in doing that when my knowledge and experience allow me to guess what you're saying just by facial expression alone." Answered Charles before getting back to the reason they came here.

"Anyways, seeing as it's Elifs fourth birthday, I suppose you guys came here so he can learn the Royal Elven Cultivation Manual; well then, follow me." Said Charles as he turned around and opened the doors, revealing a long corridor heading somewhere.

As I start walking forward, by the time I reach the double doors, I notice I'm the only one walking; turning around, I see my parents and grandparents haven't moved.

"What're you guys doing?" Questioned Elif.

"We can't, Elif; just as I said before, we have some traditions we must follow, and one of them is that when it's time for the Princess or Prince to start their cultivation journey, they must learn the Royal Elven cultivation manual by themselves." Stated Maria.

"Yeah, don't worry though, we've already gone through it, and it's easy, all you have to do, well, I can't tell you, but anyways just go on ahead, you have nothing to worry about." Said Marcus, almost exposing the process of learning the technique.

Listening to my parents, I take a deep breath and prepare myself before turning around and walking into the Erdtree, down the hallway, which I can't see the end of. After walking for a while, I catch up to great grandfather, who seems to have stood there waiting for me in the hallway; when I arrive near him, I hear a loud boom, causing me to freak out at the sudden noise.

"W-What was that!" Asked Elif while looking both ways in the hallway.

"Calm down; it was just the doors closing; now follow me; the hallways aren't too long." Answered Charles as he faced the opposite direction of where the doors were and started walking, prompting Elif to follow closely behind.

As we started walking down the poorly lit hallway, I got bored and started talking to great grandfather.

"Hey, great grandfather, why haven't I ever seen you before?" Asked Elif.

"Hmm, well, it's not that I didn't wish to visit you, but it's because of my duty as the Royal Library's manager to always take care and protect the Royal library." Declared Charles.

"Wait, does that mean we're in the Royal library?" Asked Elif in astonishment.

"Hehe, yes we are, and if you're curious, you also have a great-grandmother, but she isn't here; she's at the Royal Elven treasury and is currently the manager; you'll visit her once you reach Foundation Establishment to pick out a weapon." Said Charles as he went quiet, leaving only the sound of Elif's footsteps as Charles's steps never once made a sound.

'Foundation Establishment, is that another level in cultivation?' Thought Elif, wondering how many levels of cultivation there were.