Chapter 42- Infinity Links

*Trigger Warning: Emotional content concerning cancer and parental loss. Please be advised.

Vince sat alone inside of the main hall of the grand Cathedral. The sun was just making an appearance into the new day as he sat quietly on the pew. He looked out into the dimly lit heavenly hall as the morning light peeked shyly through the stained glass windows and smiled to himself with satisfaction seeing that every flower and candle was in the perfect place for the afternoon ceremony. He clasped his hands together, closed his eyes, and said a prayer before the start of the wedding preparations. "Heavenly Father, God of all things great and small, I pray that you lay your healing hands upon every person that will be gathered here today. Father, wrap Asia and Nick in your arms and cover their union with your good grace. Amen." He prayed. Before Vince had the chance to open his eyes, he heard footsteps walking slowly down the aisle behind him.
"That was a beautiful prayer. I wouldn't take you for a church girl, Vince." Deja spoke softly in the early morning calm of the chapel.
"Oh, girl...you scared me." Vince chuckled. "What are you doing here at the booty crack of dawn Deja?" He asked. She took at seat next to Vince on the pew and let out a deep sigh. "I came here to pray. I need some guidance...and salvation." she admitted.
"Umm, I see you must have found out 'bout what a lil dab of dick can do, huh?" Vince foreshadowed.
"What? How did you know?" Deja gasped.
"I keep telling y'all, I got the gift. Now, I'm not God, but I can give you a little guidance. Have you told Mr. Huncho yet?" He asked.
"No, not yet. I'm afraid he won't want it." Deja began to cry.
"Well honey, either way it goes the real question is, do you want it?" Vince asked with his eyebrows raised and a concerned look on his face.
"To tell you the truth, I don't know if I'm ready to be a mom, and Qua, I doubt that he will stick around." Deja fretted.
"Well, nothing in life is a guarantee, but you gotta be fair Deja. Let the man know what's going on before you make a decision." Vince reasoned.
"Yeah, you're right. I will." She agreed as she wiped the tears from her eyes. "Well, I better get back to the hotel and wake Asia up so she can get her special day started. Thanks for the talk, friend." Deja smiled at him.
"Anytime, friend." Vince smiled back.

Asia woke up before her 8am alarm on Saturday, April 4th

Asia woke up before her 8am alarm on Saturday, April 4th. She sat quietly in bed, sitting with her thoughts in the early morning light. Every pint of blood that ran through her veins pumped with the desire to be united with Nick. But, her warm thoughts were interrupted with the sobering realization that her mother wouldn't be present on one of the most important days of her life, her wedding day. She pulled out the picture of her mother that she kept tucked inside of her wallet and whispered, "happy birthday mom" out loud in the empty room. Asia's deep debilitating feelings of loss quickly turned to optimism as the memory of her taking a walk with her mother on their favorite walking trail at Piedmont park came to mind. Asia's mother Sharon was in the final stages of breast cancer at that time, and even though she had been to hell and back fighting the illness, her mother still found the strength to smile and be grateful for her life. Sharon turned to her daughter with joy in her eyes and tenderness in her heart as she said,
"Asia, baby, when I leave this place please promise not to be stuck in your sadness. Be free. Take joy in the beauty of life and live peacefully in every moment that you have here. Share your love and make room in your heart for foreignness and understanding for those who lack the love to give." Up until that very moment, her mother's advice had not taken residence inside of her. But, on that morning, hours before she was to be married, she felt a positive shift in her emotions and she knew that her mother was with her. Asia picked up the phone and called her father Thomas.
"Hello, Asia?" He answered happily.
"Good morning Thomas. The address is 2699 Peachtree Road. Wear your best black suit and be at the cathedral by 3pm. Don't be late." She spoke sharply.
"Oh my goodness! Yes honey, I'll start getting ready now. I'll be there early." Her father clutched the phone with his hands trembling with excitement.
"Ok, see you soon."
Asia hung up the phone quickly before she had the chance to change her mind about letting Thomas walk her down the aisle. Moments later, Deja was knocking at the door of her suite. "Good morning my lil Booski bride!" She greeted her friend cheerfully. "Time to pack up and check out. We have breakfast at 10 and then we have to get you to the church for hair and makeup." Deja smiled brightly. Asia stretched her arms towards the ceiling, yawned, and then smiled calmly.
"Good morning Dej. Ok, let's get going." She said with a big glowing smile.