[8] Like We Used To

Start from the beginning

     I stayed silent for another moment as we ruffled through Bells' tops. "I don't know, Bells. The Blake I knew was probably just an act."

     "Maybe, but you still talked to him after, and talked to him now and there's a little truth in every act, right?" she asked. Wrong. I had always acted like I didn't care, and there wasn't even a speck of truth in that act.

     I didn't tell her that, though. This wasn't about me. It was about her and Blake. "He's nice, I guess. Funny. He's a bit jokingly arrogant. Respectful. Carefree. I don't know, really. That's the best I have," I told her with a shrug. I pulled out a brown and black striped cardigan at the same time as Bells pulled out a simply gray T-shirt with two large 'L's on it. We looked at each other and grinned like one of those cliché movie moments. But we found a good top for Bells so it was okay.

     "Wait, Raine, are you okay with this?" she asked, shifting through the pile of jeans I had placed on her bed earlier. She pulled out a pair of distressed light wash jeans held them under the two tops and shook her head.

     "What do you mean?" I asked, freezing at her question. Why wouldn't I be okay with Bells and Blake? I, no offense to Blake and all, sure didn't want to try again with Blake. Sure, we could be friends, but nothing more. It would take a lot for me to trust him again.

     "I mean, like, you guys kind of dated before and, well," she trailed off. Screw acting, I should buy one of those crystal balls, live in a carnival tent and make a living off of reading people's minds. I swear, it would work. I handed her a pair of black jeans to try with them. "Thanks." She tried them with the tops and grinned. Okay, outfit decided.

     I shook my head, stopping her from continuing. "Trust me, nothing could happen between us. Honestly, I don't think I can trust him again," I admitted. "He's a good guy, and it's all over now, but I can't see him as more than a friend."

     "Should I be scared?"

     I shook my head again, more frantically this time, though. "No, I think he'll be good for you, really! He stopped the whole thing because he was in love with you Bells. And remember, three years, is a long time."

     She laughed and pulled me into a hug. "Thanks." Then a knock sounded at the door, breaking our moment. "Do you think that's Blake?" Bells asked.

     "I don't know. To change just in case," I said, nudging her toward the bathroom in her room. "Are you sure you typed seven-thirty? Like, you didn't accidentally press another number?" I asked, checking the clock on her night table. Ten past seven.

     "I said seven-thirty, I'm sure," she told me, her voice muffled slightly from going through the door.

     "Well, then I doubt it's him. If it is, he must be really eager," I said, walking towards the door. I opened it to reveal... A blood splattered, twenty year old Leonardo Dicaprio. Haha, no, I wish. Not the blood part, of course, but you know, the rest. It was actually Devon. He was dressed somewhat formally, in jeans and a black button up. The black beanie on his hand and magazine in his hand kind of ruined it, though. "Hey." I stepped to the side to let him in.

     "Who is it?" Bells called from her bedroom.

     "Just Devon," I yelled back.

     "Just Devon?" he questioned. "Sorry to disappoint. Who were you expecting?"

     "Blake," I answered simply.

     "Blake?"

     I nodded. "Blake."

     "Do I get to know why?"

     I shrugged and grinned. "If Bells chooses to tell you."