"I wanna buy Rory a thank you present", he said shyly, his cheeks flushing ever so slightly, "for learning sign".

"You really like her, hm?", I couldn't help the grin that spread across my face, I was just thankful he was becoming a little more sociable, even if it was with just one other person.

"I haven't known her long", he shrugged and I nodded, "but nobody's made an effort before, other than Felix and Dakari, so I wanna say thank you".

"You have a heart bigger than your brain", I ruffled his hair with a chuckle and he adjusted his glasses, "what kind of present were you thinking?".

"I thought flowers, but that's too romantic right? Then I thought chocolates, but that's the same- plus that feels like a Valentine's present. I thought about a teddy bear, which I'm still contemplating, she likes horror movies, theme parks- she's very adrenaline seeking and- why are you laughing?", I couldn't help the deep rumble that came from my chest, seeing my brother talking so animatedly was something I'd barely witnessed before.

"I'm sorry", I cleared my throat, "I've never seen you ramble like that in my life". He rolled his eyes and shifted in his seat, drumming his fingers on his knees.

"Are you gonna help or not?", he snapped before his eyes widened, "I'm sorry, I-".

"Don't apologise", I laughed, "a theme park is...extravagant, horror movie merchandise is a potential, so is a teddy bear...you're thanking her for learning sign, correct?".

"Yeah", he confirmed and I hummed, "what?".

"Why not incorporate that into it?", I suggested and he narrowed his eyes, "a teddy bear with hearing aids? A performance in the cafeteria using sign?".

"You're crazy for that second idea", he muttered, rising to his feet and stretching, "but the first wasn't awful".

"I know", I deadpanned, "and Chase? Don't feel obliged to thank Aurora for communicating with you- by the sounds of it she's more than happy".

"I know", he shuffled on his feet, "but it's nice to have someone who cares, you know?". I just nodded, keeping it to myself that I did not, in fact, have anyone who cared right now.

Not anyone I wasn't blood related to anyway.

Or who weren't the parents of my brother's friend.

"I'm proud of you", I told him as he went to leave the room, he stopped in his tracks and faced me with a frown.

"For what?", he scoffed.

"Do I need a reason?", I raised an eyebrow and he poked the inside of his cheek with his tongue.

"I guess not", he shrugged and I hummed.

"Then I'm proud of you", I repeated and he smiled.

"In that case, I'm proud of you too", he told me, taking a few steps towards the doorway.

"I-", I didn't even get a word in at the rate he cut me off at.

"Do I need a reason?", he used my own words against me and I snapped my mouth shut, "exactly".

Well then.

~~

"They were a nightmare, I'm telling you, Marco couldn't have picked them up quicker", I picked at the grass beside me, legs stretched out as I stared at the headstone in front of me, "I think things have been okay lately". I found it to be a miracle that I no longer sat here and just sobbed, or hyperventilated; my cousin had had to drive out here to help me out on numerous occasions now.