Chapter One Hundred and Eight: The Laws of Time

We make unsteady progress out of the Medical Dome to the nearest airlock. But when the Doctor presses the button on the control panel, it beeps out a message, "Access denied." He tries again but to no avail.

Adelaide's voice comes over the speakers, calm but carrying an unmistakeable threat. "Tell me what happens."

He holds me closer as another series of spasms tear across my body. His arm wraps around my waist and he brings mine over his shoulder, giving me as much support as he can. "I don't know."

"Yes, you do. Now, tell me."

"You should be with the others."

"Tell me!" When he remains silent, she tries again. "I could ramp up the pressure in that airlock and crush the both of you."

He stiffens for a moment, then turns towards the security camera in the corner of this tiny, white room. "Except you won't. You could have shot Andy Stone, and Inara, but you didn't. I loved you for that. Imagine..." Inhaling shakily, he rests his helmet-covered head atop mine, hugging me to his chest. "Imagine you knew something..." He can't find the words, forcing himself to try again. "Imagine you found yourself somewhere — I don't know, Pompeii. Imagine you were in Pompeii."

She is quiet at first. "What the hell's that got to do with it?"

"You tried to save them, but in doing so you make it happen. Anything I do... just makes it happen."

I want to reassure him, to offer some comfort, but no words come. The water keeps flowing steadily, filling my mouth, drowning me and yet forcing me to keep breathing, keep listening, powerless. So I do all I can, nestling into his arms.

A distant voice interrupts, "Captain, we need you."

She sighs. "I'm still here."

Determination, to do what I'm not sure, takes over him and he steps closer to the camera. "You're taking Action One. There are four more standard action procedures. And Action Five is..."

"Detonation."

"The final option. The nuclear device at the heart of the Central Dome. Today, on the 21st November 2059, Captain Brooke activates that device, taking the base and all her crew members with her. No one ever knows why. But you were saving Earth. That's what inspires your granddaughter. She takes your people out into the galaxy because you die on Mars. You die today. She flies out there... like she's trying to meet you."

"I won't die," she whispers. Then, more firm. "I will not."

He understands. I can't imagine how many times he has seen people die because they must, because there is no other way. "But your death creates the future."

"If you know all of this, why can't you change it?"

"I can't."

"Why can't you find a way? You could tell me—"

"I'm sorry, but I can't." That is enough to stop her pleading, enough to shock her. "Sometimes I can, sometimes I do, most times I can save someone or anyone. But not you. When the planets were taken... you wondered all your life why that Dalek spared you. I think it knew. Your death is fixed, in time, forever. And that's right."

"You'll die here, too."

His answer barely makes a sound. "No."

She sounds almost scornful. "What's gonna save you?"

"Captain Adelaide Brooke."

The door to the exterior hisses as it unlocks. "Damn you."

Then the screaming starts.