Chapter Seventy-Eight: Planet of the Ood

TW// Bit of injury detail, mention and themes of slavery

The ground whirls beneath me. I yelp, grabbing for anything to steady myself. Even after all these years travelling in the Tardis, I'll never get used to the constant imbalance. It has been especially hard to keep my footing recently. A hand immediately rests against my back to catch me. "Thanks," I mumble once it is safe for us to stand.

The Doctor smiles warmly, nodding in response. His gaze darkens as it darts over to the glass box suspended between us, just for a second. He acts like he doesn't see it. "Set the controls to random. Mystery tour! Outside that door could be any planet, anywhere, anywhen, in the whole, wide uni—" His train of thought is broken off at the sight of Donna's bright, staring eyes and bedraggled hair. "Are you all right?"

She beams at us. "Terrified. I mean, history's one thing, but an alien planet!"

"I could always take you home," he teases.

"Yeah, don't laugh at me."

Leaving me to near her, he glows with recognition of her excitement. "I know what it's like. Everything you're feeling right now — the fear, the joy, the wonder — I get that."

She makes a noise halfway between a scoff and disbelieving laughter. "Seriously? After all this time?"

"Yeah," he squeaks back, matching her pitch. "Why do you think I keep going?"

"Oh, all right, then! You and me both."

I smile to myself and return to the console, examining the Coin from its box. Even separated from it, I can feel that faint buzz in my veins the closer I come to it. Doing my best to tune it out, I turn the screen around to me and examine the molecular scans of the artefact for what must be the twentieth time just in the last few days. I woke this morning, leaning against the console. The Doctor found me sleepwalking. He didn't say much. He still hasn't.

She continues her marvelling while I read through the data. "This is barmy! I was born in Chiswick! I've only ever done package holidays, now I'm here. This is— I mean, it's— I don't know, it's all sort of— I don't even know what the word is!"

The doors open and shut. I don't look up, not until the screen is moved away from me. A pair of hands come to rest on my shoulders from behind, rubbing until their tension fades. He pulls away the second he hears my gasp at the dull pain that one area of pressure gives me. "Hi," I whisper, unsure of what else to say but desperate to reassure him somehow.

"Hi." Pressing a delicate kiss to my cheekbone, he comes around to face me.

'Delicate' is the only word I can use to describe anything he does around me. It's a surprise that he'll even touch me, let alone look at me. It has been just under a week since what happened in Pompeii and the bruises have not yet faded. They blotch my entire body in awful shades of violet and yellow, especially around the splint that keeps my broken wrist in place, hidden by a sling. This hideous reminder can't make it easy for him to be around me.

But he still manages to smile at me. Mine comes back a little forced. "You should go with her; explore, have fun. I'll take the day off."

I didn't think the gesture of warmth would fade so quickly. He sighs and nods. "You need the rest. But you mean 'take the day off' exploring, not working. We both know you won't leave this room if you're left here."

"I can take care of myself," I quietly argue.

"You'll run yourself into the ground." No harshness enters his tone, just the softness of concern and acceptance. Taking the hand that is not trussed up and forced to rest against my chest, he smooths it over between his larger palms as if trying to get the creases out. His pleading eyes bore into mine. "Take a break. Come with us. Please, Inara."