Chapter 1 : Turandot (Interlude)

Start from the beginning

At selena the librettist's behest, a few tickets for this performance have even been reserved for construct soldiers.

Construct: "What do you want?"

There is no formality from him whatsoever, in fact, he comes across as pretty rude.

It is as if the person standing before him is not the youngest, most talented librettist in Babylonia, but a nameless foot soldier.

Selena : "Was there some aspect of the performance that you were unsatisfied with?"

Construct: "Oh, does my opinion warrant the attention of a genius librettist? Do you artists actually plan to gather feedback from every member of the audience until all you receive is praise?"

Selena: "Thats not what i meant, i just wanted to know why you didn't applaud just now"

She quickly realizes what she she has just blurted out. Anyone listening would think that it is no different from what the construct has said, if anything, it has come across as even more arrogant.

So she steps and instead looks finally into his eyes.

Construct: "Applaud that fabricated fantasy opera?"

The construct snorts in derision.

Selena: "What's so funny?"

Construct' "I thought this reward from the military was something special, but i didn't expect it to be a ticket to watch such an insulting show in this hellhole.
And now, the one who made this insulting and humiliating performance is standing here asking me why I'm seething, is there anything more ironic than this?"

Selena: "I don't understand what you mean, and i didn't mean to offend you."

Construct: "The presumptuousness of your opera is offensive enough."

Selena: "What was it about that opera that angered you? Please tell me!"

Construct: "Then let me ask you what was it that you were trying to say with your opera? Did you intend to praise the fearless of the hero? To praise the greatness of war? Or did you want to express your condescending sympathy and so-called compassion for those who gave their lives?

Selena: "Condescending sympathy and compression... No..."

Construct: "Don't even try to deny it. The true intentions of the creator can always be seen in their work. You should know this better than me, a mere fighter."

Selena: "I wasn't sure. That's why I'm here. I was hoping to get your opinion. I know you had first-hand experience of the retreat, and just wanted to get your approval.

The soldier lets out another snort.

Construct: "You ask me why i wouldn't applaud? Why don't you go back and look at the stage you built? You wanted to create a scene of post-war ruins on that magnificent opera stage, so you carved bullet holes in the plaster and chiseled out cracks. I can see that you soared no effort in setting it all up and making it perfect. ... Yes it's perfect. It's so beautiful indeed, you remade a ruined pantheon, but not the ruins of a battlefield. You didn't know that ruins should have borne scorch marks, and be adorned with mottled blood and broken limbs scattered about... Your ruins are respectable and clean, just like your pitiful imagination, that's all, it bears no resemblance to war. Do you really think that when you're out on the front lines, the world is still as orderly as it is in Babylonia? It would be utterly impossible for that grand funeral service of you had in your show to actually happen on the front lines. And a eulogy with accompanying funeral music? Pfft.... We don't even have time to attend to the cries of the living, so how on earth would we have the time to comfort the dead? If it were just these superficial things, i wouldn't be losing my temper like this."