After the people at the station learned about Avi's existence and later that Nathan was transgender, Thomas's hatred doubled. If there was one thing he hated more than other ethnicities, it was people who identified as a gender other than the one God made them. He was disgusted by what Nathan had done to his body and that his child was the offspring of two "fathers." So he started referring to Nathan as a woman and used derogatory nicknames for the coroner, refusing to call him Nathan since it was a "man's name and you're not a man."

And then, one day, his hatred boiled up, and he exploded. He stormed into the morgue and punched Nathan in the eye before kicking him to the ground to continue his assault. Thankfully, Jones arrived before Thomas could hurt Nathan too badly and wrestled the detective off before beginning his own assault. Nathan called Grace, Alex, and Ramirez for help, and the first two arrived to help him while the third went to get King.

King was outraged by the revelation and fired Thomas right then and there. Nathan's testimony and Jones's witness report allowed him to have Thomas blocklisted from serving as a police officer ever again. He escorted the man out of the station and ripped the badge off Thomas's chest, stating that he did not deserve to wear it. Thomas tried to sue the station for unlawful termination, but no lawyer or judge would even look at the lawsuit, let alone support it.

Thomas hated the GBPD for tossing him out like a piece of trash. He taught his son Noah to hate the police and all those who were different from them. Noah listened to his father's teaching to make him proud, but the call to love another man was too strong to ignore. Noah fell in love with Danyon and slowly began changing his ways behind his father's back and apologizing to those he hurt.

But Thomas caught Noah and his boyfriend together on the day of the culture fair. He couldn't believe that his son was a fag and confronted him. Noah didn't deny the accusations and even showed his father a photo of him and Danyon kissing. Noah declared that he would live his life how he wanted to, and nothing his father said or did would stop him.

But Noah never imagined his own father would kill him for being gay...

Thomas poisoned some of his son's favourite ice cream and left the container on his cart for Noah to find. Noah ate the deadly treat, and Thomas followed him so that he could watch his son die. By the time Noah realized something was wrong, it was too late for him to be saved, and he died near the police station while on his way to get help. With Noah now dead, Thomas dragged the corpse to the police station rooftop and waited until the crowd had gathered for the unveiling of the new mural to throw the body off the roof, ruining the joyous occasion.

During the course of the investigation, Thomas pretended to play the grieving father. But behind the scenes, he planned to poison more people to "cleanse" the world. Thankfully he was arrested before he could mass distribute his deadly ice cream, but he still managed to poison one more person: Avi Douglas.

Attempting to get revenge on Nathan and the GBPD for humiliating him, he gave Avi some ice cream while Fili was distracted in case the florist recognized him. He wanted to make them watch the little boy fade away and die, helpless to save him. He wanted them to suffer as punishment for who they were and what they did to him.

But Avi was saved after Adalet and Fili found the antidote. Thomas was furious when he found out he had failed to eliminate the little vermin and swore he would one day get his revenge. But some of his fellow prisoners didn't take too kindly to hearing that Thomas had killed his son, tried to kill a five-year-old child, and was a racist, homophobic ex-cop who had helped put them away. So they paid him a little visit when the guards weren't looking...

Thomas was in the infirmary for weeks following that visit, and while it did put fear into him, sadly, the prisons couldn't knock any sense into his thick head.

Organization(s)

GBPD (formerly)

Rank: Detective

Story Information

First appeared: The Ways of Death

Trivia

* I tried to give him the most stereotypical American name I could imagine. Hence the last name Smith because if you asked me for an American surname, Smith is the first to come to mind for some reason

     * I would have given him the first name John, but I already had John Savage, and Thomas didn't deserve to share a name with him!

* He is EXTREMELY anti-LGBTQ+

* He's the type of man who would go to a pride parade to yell insults and curses at the participants. He would also throw rocks at them

* No one would hire him because of his discriminatory beliefs, so he started selling ice cream from a cart to make money

* The last thing he said to Noah was, "I no longer have a son"