Chapter 3: Hapless to Happiness

Start from the beginning

Without a word, Cassie followed behind him going through the crowd. Luckily, the party had been outside, so it wasn’t too crowded despite the number of people actually there.

Cassie was able to keep up, but her attention had been mainly on her nails in order to maintain her composure.

“Ko, good to see you man!” Kohaku smiled a bit. “I didn’t think you would have come considering you always turn me down.”

Kohaku let out a soft chuckle. “Yeah, sorry about that, Eddy. I guess tonight was just lucky for me so I figured why not.”

“About time too. I actually needed a twenty so I could get some drinks.”

Kohaku stared motionless for a second. While he figured this was why he was even invited, a part of him hoped things would have been different. Reactively, he reached in his pocket, but he was stopped when he heard Cassie’s voice.

“Haku…” He faced her. “Didn’t you say we were gonna go out after this?”

“Wha-”

“Yeah, you promised to get me that Island Fairy shake. It’s limited time only and I’ll be so mad if I don’t get to try it.” Cassie’s eyes never left Kohaku and he could tell she was nervous despite what she was saying.

Her eyes were shaking and her fists were clenched tightly at her sides. He was almost at a loss of words at her actions, but he eventually was taken from his daze when Eddy spoke up.

“No worries then. If you guys are hanging out after this, I don’t wanna get in the way. I can always ask someone else to help me out.”

Kohaku nodded. “Alright… sorry about that.”

“I said it was no problem, bro. Let’s hang out later though, alright?”

While Kohaku knew that wouldn’t happen, he still gave his regards as Eddy left the pair to themselves.

Kohaku was quick to turn tail and leave, Cassie was close behind him as they went away from everyone else. Once they were alone, Kohaku rested against a wall and let out a loud sigh.

“I should’ve known.” He sighed. “Man, I can’t believe that guy.”

“Is he really your friend?” Cassie asked.

“…Not really. I met him on a college tour, he told me I looked like I was smart.” Kohaku sighed. “He pretty much only texts me when he needs something.”

“Jeeze, well, at least he’s not hiding it or anything.” Cassie joined him resting against the wall.

They stood in a stiff silence and this allowed Kohaku to settle in the disappointment he felt earlier. It all fell on him now and it only seemed to hurt more as he thought about what could have happened if he just rejected him like always.

“Kohaku?” He looked at Cassie. “It’s okay. That guy obviously doesn’t value you as a friend, so don’t let it get to you…”

Kohaku said nothing to this. Cassie’s words hung in the air for a while and he very nearly forgot the last few minutes entirely. Cassie looked back in front of them, the empty yard of the school flashed softly with the headlights of the passing cars entering and exiting the parking lot.

“So is it safe to assume you only went here because you thought you two were actually friends?” Cassie asked.

Kohaku frowned a bit at her words, but- “Yeah. I lost a lot of my friends from high school and it doesn’t seem to be changing anytime soon.”

Cassie then pushed herself off the wall and stood in front of him. The lights from just outside the school illuminated her figure.

“Well, it is. I think we should be friends.” She paused. “For one thing, we get along really well, and—at least for me—I feel really comfortable when I’m around you. I mean, I’d never declare anything, let alone to be friends with someone. I always felt like I was bothering people by asking them to be my friend, but with you… I just don’t mind.” She got a bit closer to him. “So, what do you say?”