perfect world

jisung

Jisung's parents aren't thrilled that he's breeding cats out of his bedroom.

He'll get lectured for it. They'll probably call Chenle's mom too. But thankfully it's two in the morning and there's nothing to do with a box of newborn kittens but let them stay the night, even if their mewing is non-stop and surprisingly loud (and unbelievably adorable).

Nibbles really had nothing to worry about.

She's sacked out now, her three babies huddled up against her. Jisung and Chenle were there the whole time, though she didn't need them. And a couple times Jisung wished they hadn't been there. (Oh, it's different unedited. It's different.)

They're on the floor now, leaning back against the bed. Still in their suits. Still close, though they've let go of each other's hands. Reality is slowly creeping in on Jisung. Hana and the kiss and the car ride back. The silence that's gone on a little too long now.

"So," Chenle says then. "How are you?"

"Um. Okay, I guess. You?"

"Okay. Not how I expected prom night to go. Like, at all."

Jisung blinks. What did he expect? Not kissing a pretty girl under the bleachers after winning prom king? No, it seems like his night went totally according to plan.

"Mhm," Jisung mumbles.

"Mhm?"

"Yeah. Mhm."

Chenle looks down, fiddling with his cuffs. The shadows and moonlight play on his face. He's the most handsome person Jisung has ever seen in his life. Which isn't what Jisung is thinking about right now, shut up.

"Hana's a vampire," Chenle says.

"Wait... what?"

"Yeah."

"She told you that, or...?"

"She tried to bite me."

And it freaking bothers Jisung, the same way that the kiss bothers him. Chenle isn't a piece of meat on his plate that no one else gets to touch. He doesn't have a claim to Chenle. But but but but but.

"Tried?" Jisung says slowly.

"I stopped her before she could... do it."

"Not before she kissed you though."

"How did you...?"

"I saw you. Accidentally. Not on purpose."

They sit in that weirdness for a moment.

Then Chenle says, "How did that make you feel?"

Jisung starts to fidget. "I... surprised. Surprised."

"Surprised?"

"Yeah."

"Nothing else?"

"I feel like you want me to say something."

"I feel like there's something you're not saying."

Isn't there always? "I don't know. I don't think so."

Chenle goes quiet. Ugh. This feels like a fight. Jisung hates fights. Useless bickering, silent stewing, he can handle that. But fights can only get better with talking. And there are things he's not willing to say. Chenle doesn't know the half of it.

"Jisung?"

Nibbles' voice. Jisung scoots toward the box, slowly, afraid to be too loud or seem too big. "Are you okay? How do you feel?"

"Just fine." Her head raises heavily. "We have a wayfarer. Would you collect her?"

One kitten, tiny and black-and-white spotted, is crawling the wrong way toward the edge of the box. Jisung hesitates. He's never held something so small and fragile before. Her eyes aren't even open yet, her movements awkward and aimless, a blind mission for her mother.

He steels himself, and carefully picks up the kitten. She's soft and a little damp and suddenly Jisung loves her more than anything. He moves her to an empty spot between her siblings. Nibbles' whiskers wobble, a smile, and she lays her head down again.

Jisung shuffles back to the side of the bed. Chenle is smiling.

"That was really cute," he says.

"I think I'd die for those kittens. Like, actually."

"Damn."

"Yeah."

Then Chenle says, "Can you promise me something?"

"What?"

"Promise you'll always be my friend. Promise me."

"Only if you promise first."

"Of course I do."

"Me too."

"Okay. Then I can tell you that I have feelings for you. And nothing will change between us. Right?"

Jisung looks at him. He's looking back.

Oh.

Oh.

Jisung's head thumps back against the bed. "That... man, that really sucks."

"It what?"

Jisung tries to find the words. It sucks because he's liked Chenle for years, since he learned what like feels like. Because he's been a total lovesick loser worrying about prom and crushes and secrets. Because he had closed his heart to the impossible, even though it had been all around him, waiting to be believed.

He knows now. He knows.

Jisung takes Chenle's face and kisses him. Kisses him on purpose, not blood-drunk or frenzied. Because he likes Chenle and Chenle likes him, and that's kind of extraordinary.

For a second, Chenle is motionless against him. Jisung almost pulls away.

But then Chenle drags him back in.

They look at each other in the low light.

"Remember that," Jisung says, "I was your first. It was me. Okay?"

Chenle nods his head, mouth twitching into a smile. "Okay."

Jisung smiles, breathes out. Not how he expected prom night to go.

He won't forget it. And this time, neither will Chenle.

the end
.....of book 2
watch out for book 3!!!
thank you sm for reading <333