Darkest Hour

Everything went by in a blur... The kids offered to sacrifice themselves for the good of Cybertron, but Optimus refused. They gave up the Relics, Smokescreen himself removing the Phase Shifter and throwing it into the pile.

Megatron's voice cut clean and sharp, "Now if you please, the Omega Keys. One at a time."

Bulkhead went first, trading a Key for Miko. Then it was Bumblebee, he was able to grab Raf. Arcee was about to approach when Megatron spoke once more.

"If this human was important enough to entrust with the Matrix of Leadership," He was talking about Jack, "He's worth two Relics."

They only had the one Key left, so what was he... No... Megatron was looking directly at Smokescreen. He could feel a shiver run down his back strut. How could have forgotten, his picture was one of the Relic entries.

Arcee and Smokescreen exchanged looks as they both started to walk over. Arcee retrieved Jack as she handed Starscream the Key.

A group of Vehicons rushed threw a space bridge. Two grabbed a hold of Smokescreen to make sure he didn't run, the others surrounded the remaining Autobots.

Starscream, Knockout, and Soundwave approached the Omega Lock, inserting each of the Keys they held. A holo-screen appeared off to the side, Megatron approached, he seemed to be annoyed about something. The Omega Lock need something else to function, a power source, but what? Wasn't the cyber-matter enough?

Smokescreen could barely pay attention, he could feel something pulling on his Spark, urging him to come closer. His peds started to move, he could feel the Vehicons try and pull him back with no avail. Words of protest both 'bot and 'con fell on deaf audios. Soundwave must have picked up what was happening for he moved to the side, letting Smokescreen step on to the platform. Smokescreen's mind was a haze, he tried to figure out what was going on but the pull was too strong. Megatron seemed happy once more, apparently that was just what they needed to get the Omega Lock working.

Pain. That was the next thin Smokescreen felt. Pain shot through his systems, but he couldn't tell why. It lasted at least a minute, when it stopped he hunched over a bit, exhausted. He was regaining his bearings. He looked down to see his peds had been bound to the ground, making sure he would not leave. In the distance he could see a single pristine building amongst to the destroyed ones. What had happened? Smokescreen turned to look at the Autobots, they all looked shocked a worried.

Smokescreen was still dazed from the pain but Megatron seemed talk about something. About how the Autobot should stay, about a space bridge being on target. What was going on? Then it happened again, even worse this time. Pain erupted through his systems, Smokescreen couldn't help but shout. He felt like he was being torn apart. Why? Why him? Why did he step on that stupid platform? Why did it have to be him?

It went by so fast. Smokescreen felt himself fall to his knees, the restraints on his peds were gone. He could barely think. Someone, probably Bee due to the yellow he was seeing, helped him up and started to practically drag him through a space bridge. He could hear the sounds of destruction and he could feel the heat of fire as he was dragged off. He could feel an excess amount of energy exit his systems through the arm that Bee was holding.

Smokescreen was sat down on the medical table that laid in the main room, Ratchet moved over to see his injures. Ratchet noticed the quite from everyone.

"Well, somebody say something," Ratchet said as he examined Smokescreen.

Bulkhead was the one to respond, "Optimus... Destroyed to Omega Lock."

This caused a shocked reaction from both Smokescreen and Ratchet. Be it that Ratchet appeared more shocked due to Smokescreen's weakened state.

"What... You did-" Ratchet was cut off by Optimus.

"What was necessary. There was no time for another prolonged battle, not with Earth and Smokescreen in imminent danger."

"So you destroyed the only device in any universe capable of restoring our home. Optimus... We needed that..." Ratchet voice was a broken sorrow. He had completely stopped examining Smokescreen to stand there in a shocked sadness.

An argument between Ratchet and the others broke out, Smokescreen paid no attention to it. The arguing was cut short by Agent Fowler. The Decepticons had used the Omega Lock to create a fortress in their own back yard, and they had found the Autobot base... This was bad.

Optimus was ready to bridge everyone out. Smokescreen in the meantime had gained back enough strangth to focus, he was just strong enough to run. Bumblebee and Raf left first, Bumblebee spoke not a word, or in his case, beep. The others followed suit. Then it was Smokescreen, Ratchet and Optimus left.

Smokescreen spoke up, "Ratchet, you leave first, your more important any way."

"I will sends Smokescreen to the next set of coordinates once you're through, old friend," Optimus said it more like an order than anything.

Ratchet left quickly, Optimus prepared to set the next coordinates for Smokescreen but it was too late. The base came tumbling on top of them. Smokescreen was lucky, at some point someone had given him the Phase Shifter... Optimus on the other hand...