Irish true stories

Richard Pockrich (1741)

Richard Pockrich was an eccentric inventor, failed candidate for Parliament, and musical glass virtuoso of 18th century Dublin who was probably Samuel Beckett's inspiration for "Ever tried. Ever failed" No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." Here, Eleanor will tell you about some of Richard's glorious failures as well as the musical instrument he gave the world, the glass harp or angelic organ.

Darkey Kelly (1760)

Go to Hell in Dublin, literally, there was an area of the city centre known as Hell! Hell was infamous in the 1780s for its drinking taverns and houses of ill-repute for rich and distinguished gentlemen, and one of its most famous figures is a woman called Dorcas 'Darkey' Kelly. Deirdre's here to tell you one of her favourite Dublin stories, of the formidable Dublin woman who ruled Hell and the secrets that have emerged after her death. 

Charles Byrne, The Irish Giant (1761)

This short animated documentary forms the key-stone of an online campaign to free Charles Byrne, The Irish Giant. We demand that Charles Byrne's body be immediately removed from public display and returned to the Irish state to be given a dignified and long overdue burial at sea. It's time to let him go.

Billy in the Bowl (1786)

The handsome, deformed begger Billy Davis or 'Billy in The Bowl', as he was known, terrorised the streets of Grangegorman in the 18th century. Bobby Aherne sheds some light on one of Dublin's darkest street characters.

The Dollocher (1847–1849) 

In 18th century Dublin, the area of Dublin known as Cornmarket near Christchurch Cathedral was terrorised by a malevolent figure in the appearance of a black pig, now known as Dollocher. Stephen uncovers this story of death, pigs, and conspiracy. Listen closely.

The Temple Bar Murders (1867)

In Victorian times, Temple Bar was derelict, deserted and dangerous. Barry tells us the story about the gruesome Temple Bar murders, when two police officers Patrick Keenan and Stephen Kelly were shot by a Fenian rebel on the 31st of October 1867.

The fight for City Hall (1916)

In Easter 1916, several key posts around the city were taken by rebels in an attempt to overthrow the british rule of Ireland. While most of the attention is focussed on the central GPO, there were a number of outposts with their own fascinating story to tell.

Saint Valentine

Did you know that (one of) the final resting places of Saint Valentine is in Dublin City? In our first story, Edel tells us the story of Saint Valentine and how it inspired the world to celebrate love on 14th February every year, and how you can visit the famous saint in Whitefriar Street Church, just off Aungier Street in Dublin city centre.

Nelson's Head

Nelson's Pillar, a large granite column topped with a statue of Admiral Nelson in the middle of Dublin's O'Connell Street, was famously blown up in 1966. But a mystery has dogged the explosion since what happened to Nelson's Head? Listen close as Lenny follows the Head over 50 years, across the Irish sea and back again.